Alternatives for mid-14th century headgear

  • catarineq
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2008
      I'm working toward improving my authenticity level for my mid-14th
      century Scottish persona. Currently, I'm trying to come up with an
      alternative for covering my hair. In the past (with varying hair
      lengths) I've worn the following: veil with circlet, veil with
      barbette, veil with barbette and filet, veil with wimple, veil with
      wimple and filet, wimple with circlet, attempted a small horned
      headwrap, attempted a turban-like headwrap, and worn a roll with a
      veil. At the moment my hair is very short and is wildly wavy. It
      takes a lot of heavy "product" and many pins/barettes/clips to keep
      all the ends back. I'm tired of doing all that. The turban-style
      headwrap I tried kept coming undone or was tight enough to hurt. Any
      suggestions for a simple hat/coif/wrap that would be appropriate for
      an unmarried adult female from my time period to wear with a gown and
      sideless surcote? A hood or coif appeal to me, but I haven't found
      any images of them with a sideless surcote - especially indoors.
      Thank you in advance.

      Lady Catarine Quhiting
      Lists Minister, Barony of Terra Pomaria
      Citizen of the Principality of Summits, Kingdom of An Tir
    • lenastrid
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "catarineq" <catarineq@...> wrote:

        > I'm working toward improving my authenticity level for my mid-14th
        > century Scottish persona.
        <snip>
        > At the moment my hair is very short and is wildly wavy. It
        > takes a lot of heavy "product" and many pins/barettes/clips to keep
        > all the ends back. I'm tired of doing all that. The turban-style
        > headwrap I tried kept coming undone or was tight enough to hurt. Any
        > suggestions for a simple hat/coif/wrap that would be appropriate for
        > an unmarried adult female from my time period to wear with a gown and
        > sideless surcote? A hood or coif appeal to me, but I haven't found
        > any images of them with a sideless surcote - especially indoors.
        > Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Lady Catarine Quhiting

        Have you tried making a St Birgitta cap, and pin the veil to that?
        See here for references:
        http://users.livejournal.com/aure_/21464.html
        http://windwraith.blogspot.com/2008/08/cap-of-st-birgitta.html

        A picture of the cap worn by a person with short hair can be found here:
        http://histvarld.historiska.se/histvarld/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5732&whichpage=2
        (at the middle of the page)

        /Lena
      • Marianne Perdomo
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
          2008/9/29 lenastrid <bokmal@...>

          > http://users.livejournal.com/aure_/21464.html
          > http://windwraith.blogspot.com/2008/08/cap-of-st-birgitta.html

          <snip>
          Not my period but that's just so cool! Does anyone know of more examples of
          such fancy seam joinings? Any 15th century ones? I'd love to recreate
          something like that! :)

          Thanks for sharing!!

          Leonor

        • Labhaoise O'Beachain
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2008
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, please do not top post. Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator. MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED

            "Marianne Perdomo" <marianne@...> wrote:
            > Not my period but that's just so cool! Does anyone know of more
            examples of
            > such fancy seam joinings? Any 15th century ones? I'd love to recreate
            > something like that! :)

            I can only give you generalities.. maybe someone has links to extant
            pieces, but it is my understanding that seams are often
            found "accented" rather than hidden in digs....
          • Marianne Perdomo
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008
              Hello!

              Sorry, an event plus work and life kept me far too busy for a while...

              2008/9/30 Labhaoise O'Beachain <labhaoise_obeachain@...>

              > I can only give you generalities.. maybe someone has links to extant
              > pieces, but it is my understanding that seams are often
              > found "accented" rather than hidden in digs....

              Ah, yes... I had seen a 13th Spanish tunic where the side seams were
              accented with herringbone(?) stitch (red thread on white material), but
              never quite seen an actual gap before.
              I may have to find something to try it on one of these day. Ideas welcome
              anytime :)

              Thanks!

              Leonor

            • catarineq
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008

                > Have you tried making a St Birgitta cap, and pin the veil to that?
                <Snip>
                > /Lena

                Thank you. I'm going to try that. Fortunately, my mom is good at
                helping me fit things behind my head or back. Ha ha!

                Lady Catarine Quhiting
                Barony of Terra Pomaria, Summits, An Tir