Re: Children's activities - philosophical discussion

  • mary_m_haselbauer
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
      I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
      my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
      of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
      pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
      to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
      stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
      2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
      sparkle.

      Slaine
    • Frank A Thallas Jr
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
        I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
        my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
        of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
        pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
        to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
        stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
        2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
        sparkle.

        Slaine

        Good for you. Plenty of time to slowly and gradually introduce
        "period-icity" when she's more able to understand.

        Liadain
        Still likes the occasional "sparklie"
      • Elisabeth Hänsler
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
          Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes to
          events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face on the
          toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun trying on
          armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over trying on a
          helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and playing with
          other kids.

          There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.
        • llyonet@cox.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in
            digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of
            Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

            ---- "Elisabeth Hänsler" <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
            > Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes > to events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face > on the toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun > trying on armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over > trying on a helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and > playing with other kids.
            >
            > There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.

            The Children are Our Future.
            Fun is important, even for children over 21.....
            31....
            41...
            You get the idea.
            Mine loves her angel wing tunics, but will wear her German Ren and Elizabethan, especially if she resembles her Mama.

            Lyonet