Re: [Authentic_SCA] Patron saint of Tailors?

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2008
      More trivia (I love saint trivia!)

      Leofwynn Marchaunt wrote:

      >Personally, my favorite example is St. Agatha and bakers.
      >The 'iconography' of St. Agatha - the thing that helps
      >you identify her in paintings - was her holding her
      >breasts on a platter. [There is other iconography
      >associated with her but this is the one important
      >to this trivial tale]. This was because she had her
      >breasts cut off before being martyred [she was also
      >miraculously healed before being killed]. So for St.
      >Agatha you would paint, etc, a female saint [breasts
      >and all] with breasts on a platter. Except that as
      >time went on, the breasts got less realistic - and
      >they weren't very realistically drawn to begin with
      >anyway. So, at some point, the breasts got mistaken
      >for rolls or buns. And thus, she became one of the
      >patron saints of bakers.

      IIRC, Agatha is also one of the patrons of bell founders, for pretty much the same reason -- the breasts on a platter somewhat resemble bells.

      >By similar logic, St. Barbara is patron saint of
      >artillerymen because her icon is a tower, because
      >her father, according to legend, locked her in a
      >tower to force her to marry rather than be a
      >consecrated virgin.

      And, as punishment, her father was killed by lightning -- so St. Barbara is also patron of just about anything else that goes "Boom!" <grin>

      Christian de H.

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California