Simple Authentic Persian/Turkish Garb

  • Elisabeth Hänsler
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10 11:30 AM
      So there is an upcoming event that is themed middle eastern. I
      thought it be fun if I could find some info and patterns for simple
      garb. All the items I have found were 16th c. and not so simple.

      Does anyone have anything out there a bit earlier? I just wanted to
      have a bit of fun with it and keep it easy. This is will be one of
      those once in awhile things like my viking garb.

      Thank you in advance.

      YIS,

      Elisabeth Hänsler
    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10 3:26 PM
        Elisabeth wrote:
        >So there is an upcoming event that is themed middle eastern. I
        >thought it be fun if I could find some info and patterns for simple
        >garb. All the items I have found were 16th c. and not so simple.
        >
        >Does anyone have anything out there a bit earlier? I just wanted to
        >have a bit of fun with it and keep it easy. This is will be one of
        >those once in awhile things like my viking garb.

        I'm not sure which Turkish you're thinking of, since there were
        several significant Turkish groups within SCA period.

        Persian
        16th C. Persian is pretty simple. Unfortunately the Persian patterns
        from http://reconstructinghistory.com have not yet been published.
        But i host Rashid's Persian patterns on my website. Main body is
        rectangular, sleeves are simple trapezoids.
        http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Costuming/rashid/
        Men and women for the most part wore outer garments of the same
        style. The hardest part is sewing on buttons and loop fasteners -
        garment is simple, only the finishing can be time consuming.

        Ottoman
        http://reconstructinghistory.com has already published patterns for
        Ottoman garb for both men and women. Ottoman garb is similar to
        Persian, although there are some distinctive differences, especially
        in the scale of the motifs on the textiles - Ottoman being quite
        large and most Persian being fairly small.

        Arabic
        If you want something simpler, there's 14th century Egyptian. Rashid
        has some patterns based on archaeological finds, as published in a
        scholarly book. I've made garb from my own patterns based on the same
        scholarly article.
        http://www.feoragdubh.eastkingdom.org/GarbWorkshops.php
        Scroll down to "Egyptian Men's Clothing"
        Both men and women wore the same clothing - there are existing law
        suits between husbands and wives over who gets to wear a particular
        tunic and when.

        There's another tunic shape common in Arabic-speaking cultures. As
        with the other garments, the central panel is a simple rectangle the
        width of which is the measurement between your shoulder points and
        the length is twice the measurement from your ankles to your
        shoulders. Rectangular sleeves or trapezoidal sleeves (narrower at
        the cuff), and 4 side gore pieces all the same size, two facing each
        way.

        This is very quite to assemble - 1. sew the top of each gore to each
        side of the underarm seam of the sleeves (that's four steps and you
        will have two pieces - each is gore-sleeve-gore); 2. sew each
        sleeve-gore assembly to the main body (two steps, just 2 long
        straight lines) 3. cut out the neck hole; 4. sew from armpit to hem
        and from armpit to cuff. 5. turn under hem and cuffs and neckline.
        Voila.

        I think that Rashid as a version of this with the "Egyptian Men's
        Clothing". The patterns there also include sirwal and a cloak.
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita

        My LibraryThing
      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12 11:41 AM
          MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

          Elisabeth Hänsler <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:

          > So there is an upcoming event that is themed middle eastern. I
          > thought it be fun if I could find some info and patterns for simple
          > garb. All the items I have found were 16th c. and not so simple.
          >
          > Does anyone have anything out there a bit earlier?

          there is some here....

          http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Rashid/Rashid0.html

          check out her whole site, it's very interesting.
          Labhaoise