Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Headwear for late13th century/early 14th century question

  • Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
      You could try the tablet weaving technique that uses the weft as the
      edge stitching. :) I don't know how to explain it better, but it's
      featured in Crowfoot's _Textiles and Clothing_ . :)

      Samia
    • Cindy Myers
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
        > Samia - Thank you so much! I am going to have to find the original
        > images online now : )
        >
        > I'd swore I'd never make another fingerloop braid ever again... but it
        > appears I truly have a reason to now.
        >
        > If anyone else happens upon anything else, please let me know : )
        >
        > YIS,
        >
        > Elisabeth Hänsler

        There's a surviving cap that when worn produces a look just like the
        images shown on that website. I can't tell if the web-author made
        her interpretation as a cap, or if it's a shaped piece of flat fabric
        tied about the head.

        For a full discussion on the surviving cap, and instructions for
        making one, see:

        Camilla Luise Dahl and Isis Sturtewaggen
        "The Cap of St. Birgitta" (p 99-142) in _Medieval Clothing and
        Textiles Vol 4_
        Edited by Robin Netherton and Gale Owen-Crocker. The Boydell Press,
        2008.

        http://www.boydelland brewer.com

        A friend of mine made one based on this article, and has been wearing
        it in the kitchen ever since. It looks adorable. :)

        --Emmelyne de Marksbury
      • Elisabeth Hänsler
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
          Thank you to everyone for their input. I love this cap/coif - I truly
          prefer it over the typical "turbans" I see people wearing usually. I
          am going to make one based off of both of the sources provided... I
          will use a fingerloop braid because I have not learned to tablet weave
          yet.

          I will p ost my results as soon as I finish it... which has to be
          within the next two weeks. Joy, joy... but it is all good :)

          YIS,

          Elisabeth Hänsler
        • mary_m_haselbauer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
            I had made one of those hats with from the temporo nostro website and I
            love it. However it went missing in my house and I started playing
            around with a one yard square piece of cloth and came up with something
            simplier that looks like the Mac bible image they are trying to
            reproduce.

            The square of cloth lays on my shoulders like a cape. I bring the two
            corners on my shoulders up under my hair and tie it at the top of my
            forehead. This looks really silly. :)

            Then I take the bottom edge which is hanging in the middle of my back
            and bring it up over my hair and lay it on my forehead on top of the
            knot. The other two free corners are pulled past my ears and tied
            behind my head. Really it is simple! It is actually more comfortable to
            tie this under my hair but it doesn't look as much like the 13th c
            images.

            Slaine
          • Cindy Myers
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
              > Thank you to everyone for their input. I love this cap/coif - I truly
              > prefer it over the typical "turbans" I see people wearing usually. I
              > am going to make one based off of both of the sources provided... I
              > will use a fingerloop braid because I have not learned to tablet weave
              > yet.

              You might not have to do either, if you don't want to. (Tablet weave
              or fingerloop braid.)

              The St. Birgitta coif is tied with a strip of linen that continues up
              and around, binding the face opening as well. For the tie, it is
              folded and stitched (apx 1 cm in width.) Originally, the tie was
              probably stitched to the opposite side, forming a loop long enough to
              cross in the back and wrap around the head as seen in other
              illustrations of similar coifs.

              So it would seem that you have another option, and one based on an
              extant coif.

              Hope that helps,

              Emmelyne de Marksbury