Re: Children's activities - philosophical discussion

  • Elisabeth Hänsler
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
      My boys (they turn 4 and 12 next month) love dressing in comfortable
      and roomy garb and they love to attend events. I dress them in late
      13th century.

      I have found that giving them choices and keeping them invovled in
      the decision making process goes a long way. (more than one tunic to
      choose from, allowing them to pick colors/patterns for tunic and
      belts, ect...)go a long way. Especially with the littlest one. He
      stole my tabletwoven belt for himself at the last event (no biggie,
      he was happy and not tripping over tall grass and tunics.) I have to
      make adjustments for the youngest with the necklines because
      brooches/pins will not cut it with his little daredevil self.

      My oldest now assists in making everything for himself (which he
      loves.) I allow the youngest to help as much as safety and patience
      will allow.

      I try to stay authentic as possible with the toys, but I do have to
      adapt some modern aspects (like his modern horse on a stick
      he "rides" around.) My oldest is at an age that he is off with other
      older children and being dragged by mom to offer service at events.
      I have a toy box that has graces, skittles, wood castle blocks, wood
      figures of people, drums and play swords. They are contect playing
      all day. I watched another 3 year old this past weekend at an event
      and she was content with the toys as well.

      I try to stay as authentic as possible while keeping in mind a
      comfortable child is a happy child.

      YIS,

      Elisabeth Hänsler
    • llyonet@cox.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
        Greetings All,

        I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.

        I am collecting them for children's activities. I have some of children climbing trees, playing with dolls and tossing balls.

        Thanks for your assistance in advance,

        Lady Lyonet of Greystone C.C.N
        Shire of Phoenix Glade
        Children Welcome to The Lyon's Den
      • bronwynmgn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
          In a message dated 9/8/2008 10:03:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          mary_m_haselbauer@... writes:

          <<I can see with my own child that as much as I want her to wear
          authentic clothing at events letting her wear something a little
          princessy makes her happy. When I was a kid with a growing interest
          in the Middle Ages I wasn't an historian yet and it was the fairy
          tale aspect that got my attention and made my eyes sparkle.

          I was just wondering how other authentically minded SCA parents walk
          this line.>>

          Thus far my three-year-old son is perfectly happy to wear authentic clothing,
          especially if it looks like Daddy's :-) We have not had any issues in that
          area yet. He has a toy box that goes to events that contains only wooden or
          other "primitive" toys - he has several wool balls stuffed with fabric scraps,
          wooden pull toys, wooden knights and king and horses, wooden puzzles, etc, and
          I try to keep any books I bring to at least reasonably period topics.
          My feeling at this point is that we will not let him cross over into majorly
          fantasy clothing. I think if it got to the point that he refused to wear
          appropriate clothing, he would not go to the event, but go to camp Grandma or some
          such instead. We have a nine-year-old girl in our local group for whom this
          has worked very well; she even wears veils and stuff, but her older
          half-sister (16), who has not been raised in the SCA as the 9 year old has, tends to
          much more fantasy/goth stuff. Although her parents have said that they aren't
          going to bring her to Pennsic again unless she does something SCA rather than
          just playing RPGs in the bathhouse.

          Brangwayna Morgan

        • Kareina Talvi Tytär
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
            Slaine wrote:

            >[snip I can see with my own child that as much as I want her to wear
            >authentic clothing at events letting her wear something a little
            >princessy makes her happy. [snip]

            I'm not following you here--what isn't authentic about
            "princessy"? There were certainly Princesses in period, and, often,
            the documentation for what they were wearing is better than that of
            the common people in a given period. If she wants to dress like the
            top end of the nobility, and you can provide the materials to make
            the costumes for her, go for it! Even if your persona happens to be
            only working-class--she doesn't have to be from the same
            time/place/or even social strata as you are...

            --Kareina

            http://kareina.livejournal.com/
          • Karen
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
              Lady Lyonet of Greystone wrote:
              > I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you
              > of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.

              See http://larsdatter.com/toys.htm for children playing with toys; there are some more links relating to games at http://larsdatter.com/games.htm as well.

              Karen
            • llyonet@cox.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                Thanks, Karen!
                Wonderful site, I am going to spend many hours looking and reading.
                Thanks again.

                Lyonet

                ---- Karen <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:
                > Lady Lyonet of Greystone wrote:
                > > I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you
                > > of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.
                >
                > See http://larsdatter.com/toys.htm for children playing with toys; there are some more links relating to games at http://larsdatter.com/games.htm as well.
                >
                > Karen

              • mary_m_haselbauer
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
                  I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
                  my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
                  of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
                  pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
                  to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
                  stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
                  2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
                  sparkle.

                  Slaine
                • Frank A Thallas Jr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
                    I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
                    my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
                    of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
                    pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
                    to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
                    stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
                    2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
                    sparkle.

                    Slaine

                    Good for you. Plenty of time to slowly and gradually introduce
                    "period-icity" when she's more able to understand.

                    Liadain
                    Still likes the occasional "sparklie"
                  • Elisabeth Hänsler
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
                      Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes to
                      events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face on the
                      toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun trying on
                      armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over trying on a
                      helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and playing with
                      other kids.

                      There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.
                    • llyonet@cox.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
                        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in
                        digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of
                        Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                        MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

                        ---- "Elisabeth Hänsler" <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
                        > Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes > to events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face > on the toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun > trying on armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over > trying on a helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and > playing with other kids.
                        >
                        > There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.

                        The Children are Our Future.
                        Fun is important, even for children over 21.....
                        31....
                        41...
                        You get the idea.
                        Mine loves her angel wing tunics, but will wear her German Ren and Elizabethan, especially if she resembles her Mama.

                        Lyonet