Headwear for late13th century/early 14th century question

  • Elisabeth Hänsler
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
      I am volunteering to help in the kitchen for an upcoming event. My
      persona is early 14th century/late 13th century German. With that in
      mind, what is some period headwear that will bw more confortable that
      a net/barbette/fillet combo? (I have short hair and also use the net
      to hide my modern hair until it grows out again.)

      I have seen turbans worn, but I have also heard about, but not
      actually seen documentation on a "linen hat bag." I am looking for
      something authentic, comfortable and appropriate for kitchen work.

      Thank you to all in advance.

      YIS,

      Elisabeth Hänsler
    • Samia al-Kaslaania
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
        Elisabeth Hänsler wrote:
        > I am volunteering to help in the kitchen for an upcoming event. My
        > persona is early 14th century/late 13th century German. With that in
        > mind, what is some period headwear that will bw more confortable that
        > a net/barbette/fillet combo? (I have short hair and also use the net
        > to hide my modern hair until it grows out again.)

        Here is a website that came across the 13th C list recently. Feed it
        through your favorite online translation service. :)

        http://www.tempora-nostra.de/tempora-nostra/index.php?id=377

        Samia
      • Elisabeth Hänsler
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
          Samia - Thank you so much! I am going to have to find the original
          images online now : )

          I'd swore I'd never make another fingerloop braid ever again... but it
          appears I truly have a reason to now.

          If anyone else happens upon anything else, please let me know : )

          YIS,

          Elisabeth Hänsler
        • Samia al-Kaslaania
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
            You could try the tablet weaving technique that uses the weft as the
            edge stitching. :) I don't know how to explain it better, but it's
            featured in Crowfoot's _Textiles and Clothing_ . :)

            Samia
          • Cindy Myers
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
              > Samia - Thank you so much! I am going to have to find the original
              > images online now : )
              >
              > I'd swore I'd never make another fingerloop braid ever again... but it
              > appears I truly have a reason to now.
              >
              > If anyone else happens upon anything else, please let me know : )
              >
              > YIS,
              >
              > Elisabeth Hänsler

              There's a surviving cap that when worn produces a look just like the
              images shown on that website. I can't tell if the web-author made
              her interpretation as a cap, or if it's a shaped piece of flat fabric
              tied about the head.

              For a full discussion on the surviving cap, and instructions for
              making one, see:

              Camilla Luise Dahl and Isis Sturtewaggen
              "The Cap of St. Birgitta" (p 99-142) in _Medieval Clothing and
              Textiles Vol 4_
              Edited by Robin Netherton and Gale Owen-Crocker. The Boydell Press,
              2008.

              http://www.boydelland brewer.com

              A friend of mine made one based on this article, and has been wearing
              it in the kitchen ever since. It looks adorable. :)

              --Emmelyne de Marksbury
            • Elisabeth Hänsler
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                Thank you to everyone for their input. I love this cap/coif - I truly
                prefer it over the typical "turbans" I see people wearing usually. I
                am going to make one based off of both of the sources provided... I
                will use a fingerloop braid because I have not learned to tablet weave
                yet.

                I will p ost my results as soon as I finish it... which has to be
                within the next two weeks. Joy, joy... but it is all good :)

                YIS,

                Elisabeth Hänsler
              • mary_m_haselbauer
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                  I had made one of those hats with from the temporo nostro website and I
                  love it. However it went missing in my house and I started playing
                  around with a one yard square piece of cloth and came up with something
                  simplier that looks like the Mac bible image they are trying to
                  reproduce.

                  The square of cloth lays on my shoulders like a cape. I bring the two
                  corners on my shoulders up under my hair and tie it at the top of my
                  forehead. This looks really silly. :)

                  Then I take the bottom edge which is hanging in the middle of my back
                  and bring it up over my hair and lay it on my forehead on top of the
                  knot. The other two free corners are pulled past my ears and tied
                  behind my head. Really it is simple! It is actually more comfortable to
                  tie this under my hair but it doesn't look as much like the 13th c
                  images.

                  Slaine
                • Cindy Myers
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2008
                    > Thank you to everyone for their input. I love this cap/coif - I truly
                    > prefer it over the typical "turbans" I see people wearing usually. I
                    > am going to make one based off of both of the sources provided... I
                    > will use a fingerloop braid because I have not learned to tablet weave
                    > yet.

                    You might not have to do either, if you don't want to. (Tablet weave
                    or fingerloop braid.)

                    The St. Birgitta coif is tied with a strip of linen that continues up
                    and around, binding the face opening as well. For the tie, it is
                    folded and stitched (apx 1 cm in width.) Originally, the tie was
                    probably stitched to the opposite side, forming a loop long enough to
                    cross in the back and wrap around the head as seen in other
                    illustrations of similar coifs.

                    So it would seem that you have another option, and one based on an
                    extant coif.

                    Hope that helps,

                    Emmelyne de Marksbury