Children's activities - philosophical discussion

  • mary_m_haselbauer
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
      The Pied Piper thread reminded me of something I've been thinking
      about -

      My goal is that children will be enthused about SCA long term.
      Sometimes I wonder about how to accomplish that with children's
      activities in general and with my own child specifically. My primary
      area of research is the material culture of medieval children so I'm
      not afraid of a little research or making evidence-based clothing and
      toys.

      I can see with my own child that as much as I want her to wear
      authentic clothing at events letting her wear something a little
      princessy makes her happy. When I was a kid with a growing interest
      in the Middle Ages I wasn't an historian yet and it was the fairy
      tale aspect that got my attention and made my eyes sparkle.

      I was just wondering how other authentically minded SCA parents walk
      this line.

      Cheers,
      Slaine
      B3R Calontir
    • Elisabeth Hänsler
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
        My boys (they turn 4 and 12 next month) love dressing in comfortable
        and roomy garb and they love to attend events. I dress them in late
        13th century.

        I have found that giving them choices and keeping them invovled in
        the decision making process goes a long way. (more than one tunic to
        choose from, allowing them to pick colors/patterns for tunic and
        belts, ect...)go a long way. Especially with the littlest one. He
        stole my tabletwoven belt for himself at the last event (no biggie,
        he was happy and not tripping over tall grass and tunics.) I have to
        make adjustments for the youngest with the necklines because
        brooches/pins will not cut it with his little daredevil self.

        My oldest now assists in making everything for himself (which he
        loves.) I allow the youngest to help as much as safety and patience
        will allow.

        I try to stay authentic as possible with the toys, but I do have to
        adapt some modern aspects (like his modern horse on a stick
        he "rides" around.) My oldest is at an age that he is off with other
        older children and being dragged by mom to offer service at events.
        I have a toy box that has graces, skittles, wood castle blocks, wood
        figures of people, drums and play swords. They are contect playing
        all day. I watched another 3 year old this past weekend at an event
        and she was content with the toys as well.

        I try to stay as authentic as possible while keeping in mind a
        comfortable child is a happy child.

        YIS,

        Elisabeth Hänsler
      • llyonet@cox.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
          Greetings All,

          I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.

          I am collecting them for children's activities. I have some of children climbing trees, playing with dolls and tossing balls.

          Thanks for your assistance in advance,

          Lady Lyonet of Greystone C.C.N
          Shire of Phoenix Glade
          Children Welcome to The Lyon's Den
        • bronwynmgn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
            In a message dated 9/8/2008 10:03:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            mary_m_haselbauer@... writes:

            <<I can see with my own child that as much as I want her to wear
            authentic clothing at events letting her wear something a little
            princessy makes her happy. When I was a kid with a growing interest
            in the Middle Ages I wasn't an historian yet and it was the fairy
            tale aspect that got my attention and made my eyes sparkle.

            I was just wondering how other authentically minded SCA parents walk
            this line.>>

            Thus far my three-year-old son is perfectly happy to wear authentic clothing,
            especially if it looks like Daddy's :-) We have not had any issues in that
            area yet. He has a toy box that goes to events that contains only wooden or
            other "primitive" toys - he has several wool balls stuffed with fabric scraps,
            wooden pull toys, wooden knights and king and horses, wooden puzzles, etc, and
            I try to keep any books I bring to at least reasonably period topics.
            My feeling at this point is that we will not let him cross over into majorly
            fantasy clothing. I think if it got to the point that he refused to wear
            appropriate clothing, he would not go to the event, but go to camp Grandma or some
            such instead. We have a nine-year-old girl in our local group for whom this
            has worked very well; she even wears veils and stuff, but her older
            half-sister (16), who has not been raised in the SCA as the 9 year old has, tends to
            much more fantasy/goth stuff. Although her parents have said that they aren't
            going to bring her to Pennsic again unless she does something SCA rather than
            just playing RPGs in the bathhouse.

            Brangwayna Morgan

          • Kareina Talvi Tytär
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
              Slaine wrote:

              >[snip I can see with my own child that as much as I want her to wear
              >authentic clothing at events letting her wear something a little
              >princessy makes her happy. [snip]

              I'm not following you here--what isn't authentic about
              "princessy"? There were certainly Princesses in period, and, often,
              the documentation for what they were wearing is better than that of
              the common people in a given period. If she wants to dress like the
              top end of the nobility, and you can provide the materials to make
              the costumes for her, go for it! Even if your persona happens to be
              only working-class--she doesn't have to be from the same
              time/place/or even social strata as you are...

              --Kareina

              http://kareina.livejournal.com/
            • Karen
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                Lady Lyonet of Greystone wrote:
                > I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you
                > of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.

                See http://larsdatter.com/toys.htm for children playing with toys; there are some more links relating to games at http://larsdatter.com/games.htm as well.

                Karen
              • llyonet@cox.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Thanks, Karen!
                  Wonderful site, I am going to spend many hours looking and reading.
                  Thanks again.

                  Lyonet

                  ---- Karen <karen_larsdatter@...> wrote:
                  > Lady Lyonet of Greystone wrote:
                  > > I am looking for paintings/wood cuts/engravings or what-have-you
                  > > of children, especially children playing. Any time frame with in the SCA.
                  >
                  > See http://larsdatter.com/toys.htm for children playing with toys; there are some more links relating to games at http://larsdatter.com/games.htm as well.
                  >
                  > Karen

                • mary_m_haselbauer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
                    I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
                    my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
                    of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
                    pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
                    to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
                    stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
                    2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
                    sparkle.

                    Slaine
                  • Frank A Thallas Jr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2008
                      I'm not looking for absolution for not even trying. Children's stuff is
                      my favorite thing to research so I have no trouble coming up with lots
                      of documentable clothes and toys for her. (Don't make me post more
                      pictures of my kid!) What I am getting at is that I'm prepared for her
                      to make some not so medieval choices. She's currently drawn to sparky
                      stuff. I'm sure she'll catch the authenticity bug eventually but she's
                      2 1/2 now and how much do I want to wreck what makes her SCA world
                      sparkle.

                      Slaine

                      Good for you. Plenty of time to slowly and gradually introduce
                      "period-icity" when she's more able to understand.

                      Liadain
                      Still likes the occasional "sparklie"
                    • Elisabeth Hänsler
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
                        Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes to
                        events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face on the
                        toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun trying on
                        armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over trying on a
                        helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and playing with
                        other kids.

                        There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.
                      • llyonet@cox.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 12, 2008
                          MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in
                          digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of
                          Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                          MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

                          ---- "Elisabeth Hänsler" <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
                          > Honestly, my 3 yeqar old is only happy wearing his froggy galoshes > to events. So he is in green galoshes with eyes and a smiley face > on the toes and a tunic... he looks darn cute and is having fun > trying on armor (yes, I am guilty of giggling when he falls over > trying on a helm whilw saying "look at me, look at me, mommy") and > playing with other kids.
                          >
                          > There is a balance and the key is keeping it fun.

                          The Children are Our Future.
                          Fun is important, even for children over 21.....
                          31....
                          41...
                          You get the idea.
                          Mine loves her angel wing tunics, but will wear her German Ren and Elizabethan, especially if she resembles her Mama.

                          Lyonet