Re: Pied Piper activities

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:
      "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for activities for "littles" to do at meetings and
      > events.

      Clearly Ye Olde Coloring Station is cheap(who has no crayons), easy
      (see previous), and expected.....

      Littles will play, given direction or no..... small boys in garb will
      start wars(anything will do for a sword) and can you blame them when
      the big "boys" play? This summer Walgreens had swords and shields in
      peroid <grin> colors 2/$5 I bought several and they are getting a
      workout.

      We are already playing "dress up" perhaps you have thespians?

      In the same vein as the swords(and probably period), I have a trebuchet
      game, the directions for making are on the web. Same sort of problems
      too. ANYTHHING CAN BE LAUHCHED!

      Boxes, oatmeal boxes, and cans, become castles..... semiperminent if
      you have an artistic bent, or just cleaned and become blocks for the
      littles to build their own... Toss in some carved knights, princesses,
      and a dragon......

      Drums, shaken instruments, even a thumb "piano" can keep them
      entertained....

      Balls, big and small..... anyone play marbles? old board games(chess,
      go, fox and hens) for the older ones (or even the younger, my granson,
      5, is picking up chess... but he cheats)....

      As I recall, wheeled toys have been found (no not Matchbox cars) some
      things never change!

      Minatures of ANYTHING adults are using.....

      And last but not least.... dolls.... simple rag babies.....

      It won't make for a quiet group but maybe a happier one,
      Labhaoise
    • Jewel
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        In Atlantia, the officer position is "Minister of Minors"...MoM.

        I have helped with Children's Corner activities in my kingdom, and ran
        one once (I hope to do more, but not without assistance!). Here are
        some things we did:

        -Made hobby horses out of wooden rods from Home Depot and socks, that
        each child decorated, sewed yarn into to make a mane, and stuffed with
        cotton batting. Then they named their trusty steed, and we had a race.
        I also had a few store-bought hobby horses for children who wanted to
        race, but didn't get a chance to come make a horse earlier in the day.
        These horses were "for rent," and the child had to pay for it with a
        song, a poem, a story, anything they could think of to show they
        reeeally wanted the horse :P

        -Made little bound books. I had pre-punched holes in paper and
        construction paper. They decorated the construction paper, then I
        showed them a period binding method (this is better for 6+)

        -Treasure hunt! We in Atlantia do lots of treasure hunts. This is best
        if different camps and merchants agree to be involved in it. There are
        two types: information hunts and item hunts. I did a hunt for sheep
        that "lost their way." These were little stuffed sheep (I happen to be
        lucky enough to know a Scadian who collects stuffed sheep, and has
        over 30 of them. I have also seen hunting for eggs...anything would do.

        I also did a hunt that went with a book I read, called "Marguarite
        Makes a Book." I read the book to them, which is about a little girl
        who helps her papa make a medieval book (this is a GREAT scribal
        introduction book, has good details). I had a 'list' of items that the
        children needed to find, such as a feather for a quill pen, an egg
        (ours were plastic) to make glair, and paper for the pages. This list
        was in pictures, not words, so the ones that couldn't read yet could
        participate too. The one who came back with all of the items first got
        a prize...if I do it again, the prize will be a beginner's scribal
        kit. (Can you tell I like to promote the scribal arts? *giggle*)

        An 'information' hunt would be for older children, requiring them to
        find certain people, and ask them a question and learn from them.
        Examples of such would be "Find Sir Axel and ask him to explain the
        Code of Chivalry. Then write down a brief explanation of it on your
        paper." or "Seek out the crew of the pirate ship, the Dark Lady, and
        inquire as to what the blazon of their ship's flag is (it's 2 rapier
        swords crossed with a 'per pale' background...pretty simple). This is
        great for children 10+, and teenagers can sometimes enjoy it,
        especially if it's got a mixture of easy and challenging ones. You
        could also put things in there like "Go to the archery field and wait
        your turn to shoot off three arrows. Have the archery marshall sign
        your paper and write down your score." Fun things like that that get
        them to try new things...

        I've also wanted to do gourd painting. Take a bunch of small gourds;
        each child gets one. They need to be the weird shaped ones. Ask the
        kids what their gourds look like (often they will say animals, or a
        fruit, or something basic like that), then they paint the gourd to mae
        it look like that thing. I have seen children do some fascinating
        things with gourds. As a child myself, I painted a gourd to look like
        a swan for my grandmother who loves swans. She still has it, and it
        really does look like a swan.

        Vivat the Dream,
        Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          On 9/4/08, llyonet@... <llyonet@...> wrote:

          > You might also check under MoC, Minister of Children
          > for more info or ideas of what to do with children.

          Also check for:

          MoM: Minister of Minors
          Chancellor of Youth
          Youth Officer
          Minor Chancellor

          http://youth.atlantia.sca.org/

          (The above link didn't display very well in IE, but if you look
          through the pages they had contact information and links that may be
          helpful for more ideas).

          -Ii
        • Dave & Megan
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2008
            I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year rather
            than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
            http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

            Gwenhyfar

          • Madeleine Delacroix
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
              MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

              MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:
              "Dave & Megan" <danhorn3@...> wrote:

              > I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year
              > rather than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
              > http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

              That is very cool...our shire doesn't have space to make something
              like that, but I bought a little wooden castle at our local Goodwill
              that I am going to make templates of and make a few more, except for
              the towers, it all comes apart for storage. In an informal poll I
              took, it seems we have most under 5, they would find playing castle
              fun (if they are anything like my 3 yr old).

              Madeleine Delacroix