Re: [Authentic_SCA] Pied Piper activities

  • Madeleine Delacroix
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      Thanks so much for the heads up...found some great web links..

      Madeleine Delacroix

    • llyonet@cox.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        You might also check under MoC, Minister of Children
        for more info or ideas of what to do with children.

        This last weekend:
        We made butter, baked Scones, made Ice Cream, (and the children didnt have to be asked twice to consume the foods that they helped make either ;)
        played with bubbles (out side), played heraldic twister, made italian flag fans, dipped candles and painted candle holders.

        HTH,

        Lyonet
      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

          MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:
          "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for activities for "littles" to do at meetings and
          > events.

          Clearly Ye Olde Coloring Station is cheap(who has no crayons), easy
          (see previous), and expected.....

          Littles will play, given direction or no..... small boys in garb will
          start wars(anything will do for a sword) and can you blame them when
          the big "boys" play? This summer Walgreens had swords and shields in
          peroid <grin> colors 2/$5 I bought several and they are getting a
          workout.

          We are already playing "dress up" perhaps you have thespians?

          In the same vein as the swords(and probably period), I have a trebuchet
          game, the directions for making are on the web. Same sort of problems
          too. ANYTHHING CAN BE LAUHCHED!

          Boxes, oatmeal boxes, and cans, become castles..... semiperminent if
          you have an artistic bent, or just cleaned and become blocks for the
          littles to build their own... Toss in some carved knights, princesses,
          and a dragon......

          Drums, shaken instruments, even a thumb "piano" can keep them
          entertained....

          Balls, big and small..... anyone play marbles? old board games(chess,
          go, fox and hens) for the older ones (or even the younger, my granson,
          5, is picking up chess... but he cheats)....

          As I recall, wheeled toys have been found (no not Matchbox cars) some
          things never change!

          Minatures of ANYTHING adults are using.....

          And last but not least.... dolls.... simple rag babies.....

          It won't make for a quiet group but maybe a happier one,
          Labhaoise
        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            In Atlantia, the officer position is "Minister of Minors"...MoM.

            I have helped with Children's Corner activities in my kingdom, and ran
            one once (I hope to do more, but not without assistance!). Here are
            some things we did:

            -Made hobby horses out of wooden rods from Home Depot and socks, that
            each child decorated, sewed yarn into to make a mane, and stuffed with
            cotton batting. Then they named their trusty steed, and we had a race.
            I also had a few store-bought hobby horses for children who wanted to
            race, but didn't get a chance to come make a horse earlier in the day.
            These horses were "for rent," and the child had to pay for it with a
            song, a poem, a story, anything they could think of to show they
            reeeally wanted the horse :P

            -Made little bound books. I had pre-punched holes in paper and
            construction paper. They decorated the construction paper, then I
            showed them a period binding method (this is better for 6+)

            -Treasure hunt! We in Atlantia do lots of treasure hunts. This is best
            if different camps and merchants agree to be involved in it. There are
            two types: information hunts and item hunts. I did a hunt for sheep
            that "lost their way." These were little stuffed sheep (I happen to be
            lucky enough to know a Scadian who collects stuffed sheep, and has
            over 30 of them. I have also seen hunting for eggs...anything would do.

            I also did a hunt that went with a book I read, called "Marguarite
            Makes a Book." I read the book to them, which is about a little girl
            who helps her papa make a medieval book (this is a GREAT scribal
            introduction book, has good details). I had a 'list' of items that the
            children needed to find, such as a feather for a quill pen, an egg
            (ours were plastic) to make glair, and paper for the pages. This list
            was in pictures, not words, so the ones that couldn't read yet could
            participate too. The one who came back with all of the items first got
            a prize...if I do it again, the prize will be a beginner's scribal
            kit. (Can you tell I like to promote the scribal arts? *giggle*)

            An 'information' hunt would be for older children, requiring them to
            find certain people, and ask them a question and learn from them.
            Examples of such would be "Find Sir Axel and ask him to explain the
            Code of Chivalry. Then write down a brief explanation of it on your
            paper." or "Seek out the crew of the pirate ship, the Dark Lady, and
            inquire as to what the blazon of their ship's flag is (it's 2 rapier
            swords crossed with a 'per pale' background...pretty simple). This is
            great for children 10+, and teenagers can sometimes enjoy it,
            especially if it's got a mixture of easy and challenging ones. You
            could also put things in there like "Go to the archery field and wait
            your turn to shoot off three arrows. Have the archery marshall sign
            your paper and write down your score." Fun things like that that get
            them to try new things...

            I've also wanted to do gourd painting. Take a bunch of small gourds;
            each child gets one. They need to be the weird shaped ones. Ask the
            kids what their gourds look like (often they will say animals, or a
            fruit, or something basic like that), then they paint the gourd to mae
            it look like that thing. I have seen children do some fascinating
            things with gourds. As a child myself, I painted a gourd to look like
            a swan for my grandmother who loves swans. She still has it, and it
            really does look like a swan.

            Vivat the Dream,
            Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
          • Lilinah
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
              Note that the gingerbread recipe recommended requires NO baking. It
              is primarily bread crumbs, honey, and spices. It will require some
              adult supervision :-)

              Also, Elisabeth said
              >1. You could have them create favors to bestow upon their favorite
              >fighter. Maybe using scuplty and ribbon.

              I assume by "scuplty" that what was actually meant was "Sculpey".
              This is a modern polymer "clay" and requires baking. There are
              several other similar products, such as "Fimo", although "Fimo" needs
              a bit of pre-work to soften it up before little hands can use it.
              Sculpey tends to be softer.

              While polymer clays are fun to use and generally easy to model with,
              the objects made from it must be baked to harden them, and must be
              baked in an oven that is NOT used for food. One could have, for
              example, a dedicated "toaster oven" that is ONLY used for such
              projects. In the context of "Page School" this baking would need to
              be done by an observant adult in a well-ventilated place.

              So ultimately they're not historically accurate (the focus of this
              list), expensive, and probably not so great for the environment.

              I also used a type of modern "clay" that looks like clay (red-brown)
              that air-hardens. A quick web search (using the search parameters
              "air dry" and "modeling clay") turns it up at a number of on-line art
              supply sources. It does take about 24 hours to dry. Apparently some
              also come in white. They are declared to be "non-toxic" but i don't
              really know what they're made of.

              Another useful modeling substance is papier mache/paper-mache. I've
              bought packages of nearly powdered paper, which can be mixed with
              water and flour paste or white glue and then modeled like clay for
              small objects. However Elmer's really is NOT what it used to be (a
              milk by-product) and i don't use it anymore, whereas flour paste is,
              if not SCA-period, at least historical, and safe. And there's always
              the paper-strip type of paper mache over forms, such as balloons. Not
              SCA period, but suitable for little kids.

              An excellent resource is Stefan's Florilegium. There's a whole
              section on children, and several topics look as if they would be
              useful to you
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/idxchildren.html

              You can also find a few versions of period gingerbread to use with
              your children:
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

              Here you will find projects that are closer to "SCA-period".
              --
              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
              the persona formerly known as Anahita

              My LibraryThing
            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                On 9/4/08, llyonet@... <llyonet@...> wrote:

                > You might also check under MoC, Minister of Children
                > for more info or ideas of what to do with children.

                Also check for:

                MoM: Minister of Minors
                Chancellor of Youth
                Youth Officer
                Minor Chancellor

                http://youth.atlantia.sca.org/

                (The above link didn't display very well in IE, but if you look
                through the pages they had contact information and links that may be
                helpful for more ideas).

                -Ii
              • Dave & Megan
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2008
                  I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year rather
                  than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
                  http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

                  Gwenhyfar

                • Madeleine Delacroix
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                    MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                    MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:
                    "Dave & Megan" <danhorn3@...> wrote:

                    > I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year
                    > rather than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
                    > http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

                    That is very cool...our shire doesn't have space to make something
                    like that, but I bought a little wooden castle at our local Goodwill
                    that I am going to make templates of and make a few more, except for
                    the towers, it all comes apart for storage. In an informal poll I
                    took, it seems we have most under 5, they would find playing castle
                    fun (if they are anything like my 3 yr old).

                    Madeleine Delacroix