RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Pied Piper activities

  • Kim Steele
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their messages in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you edit any portion of previous messages that do not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED:

      From: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Tinker

      Let me know if you need more ideas. I'll see what I can find.

      Tinker

      Also an outside activity is to do felting, warm water, soap, and wool, and bamboo place mats. A variation on this idea is to get small soap samples and put the wool around the soap and felt it to use for bath or camping. No wash cloth necessary.

      Cynnedda
    • Elisabeth Hänsler
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
        I'm not a pied piper but I have dealt with activities within our
        canton. Here are a few ideas, I hope that will help a bit:

        1. You could have them create favors to bestow upon their favorite
        fighter. Maybe using scuplty and ribbon.

        2. Teach a simple (very) heraldry class; provide them with heraldic
        templates (difficulty varying with age) and help themwith creating
        their own arms.

        3. Teach medieval games (skittles, nine man morris, fox and geese)

        4. Teach them to play instruments like the recorder or hand drums
        (recorders can be purchased rather cheaply from teaching supply
        stores and orientaltrading.com)

        5. The Goode Cookery used to have a recipe for medieval
        gingerbread.... you con't make it and it is moldable. If you know of
        someone that has their cookbook it should be there. Alot of medieval
        food was presentation... have the kids take the gingerbread and make
        designs for "feast".

        YIS,

        Elisabeth Hansler
      • mary_m_haselbauer
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
          Making and/or racing hobby horses.

          Kids like helping. A group of young girls went around a symposium event
          this weekend asking people if they'd like water in their mugs. They'd
          fill them up and bring them back. It was very hot and this was extremly
          helpful.

          Dress up - our current MOY has a bunch of garb and scarves and beads.
          You'd think SCA kids would already be "dressed up" but they love it.
          I've been thinking of making tabards that suggest different SCA jobs
          (seneschal, marshal, etc) but are somehow designated as kids.

          Leather balls are period and easy to make.
          http://aelflaed.homemail.com.au/doco/balls.html

          Cheers,
          Slaine
          B3R Calontir
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
            Madeleine wrote:
            >It seems by all the broken links I have found that this
            >officer position seems to have fallen by the wayside in alot of
            >different kingdoms/branches.

            You might also be missing some places where children's activities *are* taking place because they have been re-named. Try searching also under headings such as Youth or Children's Activities or Page School, for instance.

            Christian de Holacombe

            0 Chris Laning
            | <claning@...>
            + Davis, California
          • Chris Laning
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
              Madeleine wrote:
              >It seems by all the broken links I have found that this
              >officer position seems to have fallen by the wayside in alot of
              >different kingdoms/branches.

              You might also be missing some places where children's activities *are* taking place because they have been re-named. Try searching also under headings such as Youth or Children's Activities or Page School, for instance.

              Christian de Holacombe

              0 Chris Laning
              | <claning@...>
              + Davis, California
            • Antonia Calvo
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                Chris Laning wrote:

                >Madeleine wrote:
                >

                >>It seems by all the broken links I have found that this
                >>officer position seems to have fallen by the wayside in alot of
                >>different kingdoms/branches.
                >>

                >You might also be missing some places where children's activities *are* taking place because they have been re-named. Try searching also under headings such as Youth or Children's Activities or Page School, for instance.

                Good point. I don't think it's ever been called "Pied Piper" around
                here...

                Our BAroness, katharine kerr has some material on the subject--
                http://webcentre.co.nz/kk/children.htm

                --
                Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                  Thanks so much for the heads up...found some great web links..

                  Madeleine Delacroix

                • Terri Morgan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                    > Soap or candle carving.

                    This would be the season to stock up on "pumpkin carving kits" so the safe
                    knives are available - and gourd carving, especially to make a candle
                    lantern, would be fun any time the things are cheaply available.

                    I have a copy of a 16th-century woodcut showing a young boy standing on a
                    landing above a few other children. On the rail in front of him is a shallow
                    dish and in his hand a short tube or pipe - he is blowing soap bubbles,
                    which the kids below him are chasing.

                    Mylar tape over one end of a can that has had both ends cut off makes a good
                    drum. Making and decorating the drum can lead to learning how to use it, if
                    you have anyone who is good at that and is willing to teach the children
                    basic rhythms, and Master Dave'ed's pony-bead method of recording drumming
                    rhythms are yet another activity.

                    Making a gaming pouch (circle or square of fabric or leather with the game
                    board drawn/incised on the interior with a drawstring around the outer edge
                    to form a carrying pouch) and then learning how to play - and then learning
                    how to compete in a game's tourney is another good activity.

                    So is "red light/green light" using "lay one/hold" for the smallest children
                    as it teaches them an important safety habit.

                    Hrothny
                  • llyonet@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                      You might also check under MoC, Minister of Children
                      for more info or ideas of what to do with children.

                      This last weekend:
                      We made butter, baked Scones, made Ice Cream, (and the children didnt have to be asked twice to consume the foods that they helped make either ;)
                      played with bubbles (out side), played heraldic twister, made italian flag fans, dipped candles and painted candle holders.

                      HTH,

                      Lyonet
                    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008

                        "Madeleine Delacroix" <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

                        > I am looking for activities for "littles" to do at meetings and
                        > events.

                        Clearly Ye Olde Coloring Station is cheap(who has no crayons), easy
                        (see previous), and expected.....

                        Littles will play, given direction or no..... small boys in garb will
                        start wars(anything will do for a sword) and can you blame them when
                        the big "boys" play? This summer Walgreens had swords and shields in
                        peroid <grin> colors 2/$5 I bought several and they are getting a
                        workout.

                        We are already playing "dress up" perhaps you have thespians?

                        In the same vein as the swords(and probably period), I have a trebuchet
                        game, the directions for making are on the web. Same sort of problems
                        too. ANYTHHING CAN BE LAUHCHED!

                        Boxes, oatmeal boxes, and cans, become castles..... semiperminent if
                        you have an artistic bent, or just cleaned and become blocks for the
                        littles to build their own... Toss in some carved knights, princesses,
                        and a dragon......

                        Drums, shaken instruments, even a thumb "piano" can keep them
                        entertained....

                        Balls, big and small..... anyone play marbles? old board games(chess,
                        go, fox and hens) for the older ones (or even the younger, my granson,
                        5, is picking up chess... but he cheats)....

                        As I recall, wheeled toys have been found (no not Matchbox cars) some
                        things never change!

                        Minatures of ANYTHING adults are using.....

                        And last but not least.... dolls.... simple rag babies.....

                        It won't make for a quiet group but maybe a happier one,
                        Labhaoise
                      • Jewel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                          In Atlantia, the officer position is "Minister of Minors"...MoM.

                          I have helped with Children's Corner activities in my kingdom, and ran
                          one once (I hope to do more, but not without assistance!). Here are
                          some things we did:

                          -Made hobby horses out of wooden rods from Home Depot and socks, that
                          each child decorated, sewed yarn into to make a mane, and stuffed with
                          cotton batting. Then they named their trusty steed, and we had a race.
                          I also had a few store-bought hobby horses for children who wanted to
                          race, but didn't get a chance to come make a horse earlier in the day.
                          These horses were "for rent," and the child had to pay for it with a
                          song, a poem, a story, anything they could think of to show they
                          reeeally wanted the horse :P

                          -Made little bound books. I had pre-punched holes in paper and
                          construction paper. They decorated the construction paper, then I
                          showed them a period binding method (this is better for 6+)

                          -Treasure hunt! We in Atlantia do lots of treasure hunts. This is best
                          if different camps and merchants agree to be involved in it. There are
                          two types: information hunts and item hunts. I did a hunt for sheep
                          that "lost their way." These were little stuffed sheep (I happen to be
                          lucky enough to know a Scadian who collects stuffed sheep, and has
                          over 30 of them. I have also seen hunting for eggs...anything would do.

                          I also did a hunt that went with a book I read, called "Marguarite
                          Makes a Book." I read the book to them, which is about a little girl
                          who helps her papa make a medieval book (this is a GREAT scribal
                          introduction book, has good details). I had a 'list' of items that the
                          children needed to find, such as a feather for a quill pen, an egg
                          (ours were plastic) to make glair, and paper for the pages. This list
                          was in pictures, not words, so the ones that couldn't read yet could
                          participate too. The one who came back with all of the items first got
                          a prize...if I do it again, the prize will be a beginner's scribal
                          kit. (Can you tell I like to promote the scribal arts? *giggle*)

                          An 'information' hunt would be for older children, requiring them to
                          find certain people, and ask them a question and learn from them.
                          Examples of such would be "Find Sir Axel and ask him to explain the
                          Code of Chivalry. Then write down a brief explanation of it on your
                          paper." or "Seek out the crew of the pirate ship, the Dark Lady, and
                          inquire as to what the blazon of their ship's flag is (it's 2 rapier
                          swords crossed with a 'per pale' background...pretty simple). This is
                          great for children 10+, and teenagers can sometimes enjoy it,
                          especially if it's got a mixture of easy and challenging ones. You
                          could also put things in there like "Go to the archery field and wait
                          your turn to shoot off three arrows. Have the archery marshall sign
                          your paper and write down your score." Fun things like that that get
                          them to try new things...

                          I've also wanted to do gourd painting. Take a bunch of small gourds;
                          each child gets one. They need to be the weird shaped ones. Ask the
                          kids what their gourds look like (often they will say animals, or a
                          fruit, or something basic like that), then they paint the gourd to mae
                          it look like that thing. I have seen children do some fascinating
                          things with gourds. As a child myself, I painted a gourd to look like
                          a swan for my grandmother who loves swans. She still has it, and it
                          really does look like a swan.

                          Vivat the Dream,
                          Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
                        • Lilinah
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                            Note that the gingerbread recipe recommended requires NO baking. It
                            is primarily bread crumbs, honey, and spices. It will require some
                            adult supervision :-)

                            Also, Elisabeth said
                            >1. You could have them create favors to bestow upon their favorite
                            >fighter. Maybe using scuplty and ribbon.

                            I assume by "scuplty" that what was actually meant was "Sculpey".
                            This is a modern polymer "clay" and requires baking. There are
                            several other similar products, such as "Fimo", although "Fimo" needs
                            a bit of pre-work to soften it up before little hands can use it.
                            Sculpey tends to be softer.

                            While polymer clays are fun to use and generally easy to model with,
                            the objects made from it must be baked to harden them, and must be
                            baked in an oven that is NOT used for food. One could have, for
                            example, a dedicated "toaster oven" that is ONLY used for such
                            projects. In the context of "Page School" this baking would need to
                            be done by an observant adult in a well-ventilated place.

                            So ultimately they're not historically accurate (the focus of this
                            list), expensive, and probably not so great for the environment.

                            I also used a type of modern "clay" that looks like clay (red-brown)
                            that air-hardens. A quick web search (using the search parameters
                            "air dry" and "modeling clay") turns it up at a number of on-line art
                            supply sources. It does take about 24 hours to dry. Apparently some
                            also come in white. They are declared to be "non-toxic" but i don't
                            really know what they're made of.

                            Another useful modeling substance is papier mache/paper-mache. I've
                            bought packages of nearly powdered paper, which can be mixed with
                            water and flour paste or white glue and then modeled like clay for
                            small objects. However Elmer's really is NOT what it used to be (a
                            milk by-product) and i don't use it anymore, whereas flour paste is,
                            if not SCA-period, at least historical, and safe. And there's always
                            the paper-strip type of paper mache over forms, such as balloons. Not
                            SCA period, but suitable for little kids.

                            An excellent resource is Stefan's Florilegium. There's a whole
                            section on children, and several topics look as if they would be
                            useful to you
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/idxchildren.html

                            You can also find a few versions of period gingerbread to use with
                            your children:
                            http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

                            Here you will find projects that are closer to "SCA-period".
                            --
                            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                            the persona formerly known as Anahita

                            My LibraryThing
                          • JL Badgley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3, 2008
                              On 9/4/08, llyonet@... <llyonet@...> wrote:

                              > You might also check under MoC, Minister of Children
                              > for more info or ideas of what to do with children.

                              Also check for:

                              MoM: Minister of Minors
                              Chancellor of Youth
                              Youth Officer
                              Minor Chancellor

                              http://youth.atlantia.sca.org/

                              (The above link didn't display very well in IE, but if you look
                              through the pages they had contact information and links that may be
                              helpful for more ideas).

                              -Ii
                            • Dave & Megan
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 5, 2008
                                I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year rather
                                than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
                                http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

                                Gwenhyfar

                              • Madeleine Delacroix
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 7, 2008
                                  MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list email in digest form, we ask that you not top post your replies and snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                                  MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:
                                  "Dave & Megan" <danhorn3@...> wrote:

                                  > I keep thinking I'll volunteer for children's activities one year
                                  > rather than doing everything else, and I'd like to try this
                                  > http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/t-plans-cardboard-castle.aspx

                                  That is very cool...our shire doesn't have space to make something
                                  like that, but I bought a little wooden castle at our local Goodwill
                                  that I am going to make templates of and make a few more, except for
                                  the towers, it all comes apart for storage. In an informal poll I
                                  took, it seems we have most under 5, they would find playing castle
                                  fun (if they are anything like my 3 yr old).

                                  Madeleine Delacroix