Re: Possible New SCA Member

  • Pete McKee
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 21, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "smoothoperator383"
      <smoothoperator383@...> wrote:

      > It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the
      first
      > group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed
      that
      > there are quite a few out there that do care about the history.

      Not sure if Smooth Operator is still around after the light drubbing
      he took over his choice of words. If so, do stick around, whether
      you join up or not, this is a good, and knowledgable bunch of folks.
      I also came at this from a reenacting and living history profesional
      background. Mostly I was intrigued by seeing "authentic" and "SCA"
      used in the same sentence. At any rate, you've noticed one of the
      cultural differences between the two groups. SCA folks really get
      bent out of shape over words and perceptions. We reenactors are often
      somewhat rough around the edges in our language. SCA folks think
      nothing of flailing the tar out of one another with sticks, and in
      some cases, live steel. Draw a naked blade, or thump someone at a
      reenactment, and you may get escorted off the field by the
      authorities. We all have our quirks, and life is too short to
      quibble.

      Take care,
      Pete McKee