Re: [Authentic_SCA] travelling ala medieval

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 12, 2008
      In a message dated 8/12/2008 2:09:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      balanttina@... writes:

      <<the only problem that is
      bothering me is the rain. I have read somewhere once that boiling the
      wool a few times can make it waterproof. any experience with that? or
      more details? like how many times, what temperature etc?>>

      I've never boiled wool, but I can tell you from experience that felted wool,
      or even simply heavy coat wool, is pretty nearly waterproof on it's own. As
      long as you keep it hanging, either on your body or from a hook or something
      once you take it off, that is. Once you let it fall into a pile, it will
      soak through. But being wool, it will still keep you warm even if it is wet.
      I actually spent a prolonged time (not all day, but well over half an hour,
      possibly more than an hour) outside in the pouring rain in my wool gown and
      hood at Pennsic a few years ago, and the only thing that was wet when I took
      the wool off was the inside of my sleeve where I had been obliged to hold my
      arm up in the air and the water had run down my arm.

      Brangwayna Morgan

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.
    • balanttina
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 22, 2008
        hello!

        <labhaoise_obeachain@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, thank you, thank you, did I say thank you yet? Can you
        pack me in one of you bags and boxes?
        > Labhaoise~

        ooooo :o). can you shrink into travel-friendly size? no problemo. :o)

        I was in Nurnberg last week and visited Germanisches Nationalmuseum
        there. it is superb! I posted some pictures on my blog:
        http://www.freewebs.com/camino-medieval/preparationsblog.htm. enjoy them!

        take care, celestina