Possible New SCA Member

  • smoothoperator383
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
      (MOderator note: Please sign all posts to this group. Thank you, Despina de la Moderator)

      Greetings all, I have recently rekindled my intrest in the SCA. I
      looked into it many years ago mainly just intrested in the armor, as I
      suppose many have, and found enough information on armor to last me
      with out gettin involved in the SCA proper. The recent research I have
      done on most of the SCA community, only web based so far, has dampned
      my spirits. It appears that a lot of community is focused on the
      feasting, drinking, and armor with little interest in the history. I am
      a 4 year veteran of Civil War re-enacting and I suppose i'd be called a
      Stitch Nazi by some I consider myself a Campaigner, I don't carry a
      tent and I don't eat corndogs.

      It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the first
      group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed that
      there are quite a few out there that do care about the history. If I
      may in the SCA community do the others that are just there for
      the "party" have a term for you? like they have for us in the Civil War
      community? It seems like any group that recreats an era has nay sayers
      and detracters be it Civil War, World War II, or Golden age of Piracy.
    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
        smoothoperator383@... wrote:

        > [snip] The recent research I have done on most of the SCA
        > community, only web based so far, has dampned my spirits. It
        > appears that a lot of community is focused on the feasting,
        > drinking, and armor with little interest in the history. [snip]
        >
        > It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the
        > first group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it
        > seemed that there are quite a few out there that do care about the history.

        For me one of the big appeals to the SCA is that we *do* welcome a
        broad range of people, with varying levels of interest in the
        "history" or "authenticity" aspects of the game. As I tell people
        expressing interest, everyone is welcome, both those who's idea of
        "costume research" is watching old Erol Flynn movies, and those who
        check out the latest Archaeological Textile Newsletter to find out
        how many threads per inch the fabric for their tunic should have if
        they wish to portray someone from location X and time Z.

        Sometimes it can seem like *everyone* is all at one or the other end
        of the spectrum, depending on what you are reading, or who you are
        meeting at events, but I suspect that the distribution across the
        spectrum is really rather even, particularly so because some people
        will care passionately about one aspect of authenticity but not care
        at all about another, meaning that many folk manage to hit both ends
        of the spectrum, depending on the topic at hand. (e.g. one who cares
        about details of armour construction/style may or may not care about
        details pertaining to music, one who cares about the using the
        correct inks used for calligraphy and illumination may or may not
        care about what style of shoes are on their feet, etc...)

        Welcome (back) to the SCA, and I wish you much success in connecting
        with those who share your interests, and may you discover rewarding
        friendships amongst those with interests which are different from
        those you bring to the organization as well!

        --Kareina

        http://kareina.livejournal.com/
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 9, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "smoothoperator383"
          <smoothoperator383@...> wrote:

          > It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the first
          > group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed that
          > there are quite a few out there that do care about the history. If I
          > may in the SCA community do the others that are just there for
          > the "party" have a term for you?

          Insult slinging has no place in a society that supposedly values
          courtesy and honor. Let's not encourage it, shall we? BTW, we ask that
          you not use the "N" word. It's offensive and unnecessary. Be an
          authenticity enthusiast with pride.

          The SCA got its start some 40 odd years ago as a themed costume party.
          (If you're at all interested in our early history,
          http://history.westkingdom.org/ is worth exploring.) We attract all
          kinds, from fantasy/SF fans to history lovers. Inevitably we have
          grown and changed over the years and there are members of the Society
          who do some incredibly in-depth portrayals of their chosen personae
          and periods. There are also the just-for-fun crowd - and a whole
          spectrum between. It allows for flexibility, personal growth and
          exploration of a long timeline and a variety of cultures.

          Welcome to the list. Be sure to take a look at the Links and Files
          sections at our home page.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
            Could Despina please contact me direct, offlist?
            Matthew Baker

          • Jewel
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
              --People in the SCA who are "too much" into authenticity are sometimes
              called the "Period Police" behind their back, but I agree with the
              message earlier that said we shouldn't use names, especially not
              "Nazi" as that indicates that it's bad to be detail-oriented.

              The SCA rules require an "attempt" at medieval garb. This is generally
              accepted as "does it look decent from 20 feet"...thus (and shoes are
              my biggest pet-peeve), hiking boots or combat boots are acceptable,
              but white sneakers are frowned upon because they glare out as modern.

              I love how the SCA allows all kinds of people to play, but it is
              sometimes difficult for the more historically-oriented people to
              maintain their level (someone comes up to you and wants to talk about
              the Iraqi war...the problem is whether to go out of persona and
              converse or be less than polite and miss the opportunity to
              make/maintain a friend. It's something that each person has to figure
              out, I suppose.

              Welcome to the SCA, and I hope you find all that you are looking for
              here...don't expect it to be like Civil War Re-Creation, though. In he
              SCA, we re-create the best of the Middle Ages, so the not-so-great
              stuff is often left out on purpose...the big P's don't exist (Plague,
              Poverty, Persecution [especially religious])...of course, if someone
              chooses a persona that brings about discrimination and portrays it
              well, feel free to play it out after talking to them!

              Once at Pennsic, there was a guy who plays a gypsy persona who asked
              me to attend a party with him. Me, a proper lady of France, at a
              party with a gypsy?? I told him 'Certainly not; I wouldn't be seen in
              public with a gypsy'...so the next night he came back in his noble
              persona, and we went to a different party (*grin*)

              Vivat the Dream,
              Lady Julienne fille Gaspard, mka Jewel Shuping
            • SoldierGrrrl
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                On 8/9/08, smoothoperator383 <smoothoperator383@...> wrote:

                > (MOderator note: Please sign all posts to this group. Thank you, Despina de
                > la Moderator)
                >
                > Greetings all, I have recently rekindled my intrest in the SCA. I
                > looked into it many years ago mainly just intrested in the armor, as I
                > suppose many have, and found enough information on armor to last me
                > with out gettin involved in the SCA proper. The recent research I have
                > done on most of the SCA community, only web based so far, has dampned
                > my spirits. It appears that a lot of community is focused on the
                > feasting, drinking, and armor with little interest in the history. I am
                > a 4 year veteran of Civil War re-enacting and I suppose i'd be called a
                > Stitch Nazi by some I consider myself a Campaigner, I don't carry a
                > tent and I don't eat corndogs.

                Welcome. There are so many different levels of interest in authenticity in
                the SCA that I try really hard not to get grouchy at people who don't share
                my interests.

                My husband, who could care less about clothing construction in 10th C.
                Byzantium (or the Eastern Holy Roman Empire, if you'd like to be more
                correct) can however, tell you about military strategy, historical decisions
                made by the Emperor's third cousin who is out campaigning in some provincial
                backwater and putting the Imperial smackdown on some smelly barbarians, and
                what those troops were wearing, eating, pooping and dreaming about. He
                could tell you the average age, marital status, diets, family size, and
                education levels as well as break-down the units for you. All this, while I
                snore quietly in the corner.

                Granted, once I get into dyes, weaves, the cut of clothing and the diet of
                the average person, he'll be the one snoring, so don't judge all groups by
                the kind you see online. If we did that, I'd be convinced my beloved Army
                was a collection of knuckle-dragging Neanderthals with the IQ of a mushy
                turnip, when the truth is so much different.

                Also, perhaps, since no one's been put to death for failing an authenticity
                test, maybe we could look at not using the term "Nazi?" I've heard from a
                Laurel that it actually hurts to be compared to genocidal monsters due to
                wanting to pursue a "higher" standard. I can see that. I hope you can, as
                well.

                It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the first
                > group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed that
                > there are quite a few out there that do care about the history. If I
                > may in the SCA community do the others that are just there for
                > the "party" have a term for you? like they have for us in the Civil War
                > community? It seems like any group that recreats an era has nay sayers
                > and detracters be it Civil War, World War II, or Golden age of Piracy.

                I'm all about the party, too, as well as the fighting and dancing and all
                the other fun parts of the SCA.

                Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it,

                In Service,
                Helena Dalassene

              • Madeleine Delacroix
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Greetings,
                  I read your post as well as the others posted thus far. There are
                  things I do that would be historically accurate and things that would
                  be not so accurate, such as glasses(contacts no longer an option),
                  even though I am of a later persona, I refuse to wear a corset.But I
                  drive my family crazy getting garb and accessories just so. My 3 yr
                  old wears a long tunic because he would not have breeches on yet. Some
                  feel spending money for some things are important, some not so much.As
                  a châtelaine I tell newcomers this, the Society is what you make it.
                  There is also the 10 foot rule, if it looks good from 10 feet, it's
                  good. Unless you are independently wealthy chances of starting off
                  with a period pavilion and things like that usually don't happen. If
                  there is a family of say 5 and all they have is a nylon tent but they
                  really want to go to an event, so be it. It's better to participate
                  then not because you don't think you have the right things. Although I
                  am not one of a partying crowd, to get together and feast and party is
                  actually an activity that would have happened. So you will meet all
                  different degrees, you just have to do for yourself what suits you.

                  Madeleine Louise Delacroix
                • Chris Laning
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                    I believe it was Duke Cariadoc of the Bow who commented that if you
                    think the SCA will be thousands of people *just like you*, you will
                    be terribly disappointed. But if you look at the SCA as a place where
                    you can *find* people who are just like you, you will enjoy yourself
                    much more. That's been my experience as well.

                    I've spent a number of years doing some very intense research, but
                    now that I'm going to events again, I find I'm enjoying the diversity
                    of interests and the incredible diversity of personalities. Some of
                    the aspects of the "game" that are not authentic now bother me much
                    less than they used to, I think because I've come to feel that I have
                    my own place in the Society and it's not threatened by what anyone
                    else does. I do still take great joy in authenticity when I find it,
                    but I know it's not everywhere.

                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                      I told a friend [also in the SCA] that I belonged to this group and
                      another similar one for Norse folk and she made a comment including
                      the derogatory *n* word mentioned which usually indicates someone
                      overly concerned with other people's authenticity as well as their own
                      - I believe that our kin across the ocean call this being a
                      'nosey-parker' - but I'm not interested in going around telling other
                      people how to dress, accessorize, pavilion-ate, etc., I'm only doing
                      things as authentically as I can for /me/ and I explained that to her.
                      My persona is drawn from my own ancestors, and it's important to me
                      to honor their craft and their culture, not to complain about somebody
                      else's interpretation of things.

                      i tjänst till dröm,
                      Eydís Gunnarsdóttir

                    • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 10, 2008
                        brava, good my Lady, well stated.

                        Capt Elias

                        > I believe it was Duke Cariadoc of the Bow who commented that if
                        > you
                        > think the SCA will be thousands of people *just like you*, you
                        > will
                        > be terribly disappointed. But if you look at the SCA as a place
                        > where
                        > you can *find* people who are just like you, you will enjoy
                        > yourself
                        > much more. That's been my experience as well.
                        >
                        > I've spent a number of years doing some very intense research,
                        > but
                        > now that I'm going to events again, I find I'm enjoying the
                        > diversity
                        > of interests and the incredible diversity of personalities. Some
                        > of
                        > the aspects of the "game" that are not authentic now bother me
                        > much
                        > less than they used to, I think because I've come to feel that I
                        > have
                        > my own place in the Society and it's not threatened by what
                        > anyone
                        > else does. I do still take great joy in authenticity when I find
                        > it,
                        > but I know it's not everywhere.
                        >
                        > O (Dame) Christian de Holacombe, OL - Shire of Windy Meads
                        > + Kingdom of the West - Chris Laning
                        > http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com
                      • digital.princess
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 21, 2008
                          MODERATOR NOTE: 1. As a courtesy to our members who receive their email in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you remove any portion of the previous message(s) that do not require repetition. 2. Please also sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                          Message order reversed and edited.

                          <smoothoperator383@...> wrote:

                          > It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the first
                          > group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed that
                          > there are quite a few out there that do care about the history.

                          I know what you mean...

                          I come from a background of doing many types or re-enacting, and the
                          historical accuracy is a lot more strict in the Civil War groups than
                          then Renaissance...

                          I also have tried to start historical education groups in the
                          medieval/renaissance era re-enacting, but I was frustrated by the lack
                          of interest in anything but partying, drinking... lounging all day in
                          very un-period garb... not a good image to be projecting to patrons.

                          This group, so far, has been a great source of accurate info and a
                          really good reference as well as rekindling my hope that some people
                          do care about the history! So, thanks for that!
                        • Pete McKee
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 21, 2008
                            <smoothoperator383@...> wrote:

                            > It surprised me when I looked on Yahoo groups and found that the
                            first
                            > group I saw under my search for the SCA was this one and it seemed
                            that
                            > there are quite a few out there that do care about the history.

                            Not sure if Smooth Operator is still around after the light drubbing
                            he took over his choice of words. If so, do stick around, whether
                            you join up or not, this is a good, and knowledgable bunch of folks.
                            I also came at this from a reenacting and living history profesional
                            background. Mostly I was intrigued by seeing "authentic" and "SCA"
                            used in the same sentence. At any rate, you've noticed one of the
                            cultural differences between the two groups. SCA folks really get
                            bent out of shape over words and perceptions. We reenactors are often
                            somewhat rough around the edges in our language. SCA folks think
                            nothing of flailing the tar out of one another with sticks, and in
                            some cases, live steel. Draw a naked blade, or thump someone at a
                            reenactment, and you may get escorted off the field by the
                            authorities. We all have our quirks, and life is too short to
                            quibble.

                            Take care,
                            Pete McKee