Re: Reviews of history-themed movies on Guardian web site

  • ren_junkie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
      Actually on budget, I'm just going by what the movie makers said. A
      blue screen on that scale at that time would have looked terrible.
      Lord of the Rings was really the first to do big huge convincing CGI
      battles in landscapes that were a mix of models, set, matte, and
      CGI. The mechanical horses were peanuts compared to what it would
      have cost to build Stirling bridge. And it couldn't be a model,
      becaue you'd have to have horses pounding over it.

      I'd assume it was just a threshing flail. Farming implement, same
      tool that gave birth to military flails of various tyes all across
      Euraisia. And even tho we all know Wiki is the most reliable source
      out there, 'chucks are definitely not Chinese. At least not in a
      martial arts sense. The tradition there is a 3-sectioned flail.
      Rather a large device. The 'chucks as we all think of them come
      from the karate heritage, which is Okinawan. It was just a regular
      threshing flail. The Japanese ruled Okinawa, and the Okinawan
      peasants were not allowed weapons, so they had to use stuff like
      that. The sickles were also popular as they were a farming
      implement. In fact, hinged and chained flails were used all over
      Europe for military and civilian functions. Doubt in the movie it
      was intended as a martial arts weapon.

      No, the King Fu gurus of the time were all over Bruce about it. In
      fact, when Jackie Chan did the sequel to "Enter the Dragon" (Bruce
      was dead), he used the traditional Chinese flail.

      She?...Oops, I suppose I failed to look at the name.

      Thanks,
      Christopher