Re: [Authentic_SCA] Reconciling real life with who you want to be.

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      Personally, I'm a fan of Duke Cariadoc's approach, which is to assume that
      the Laurel Kingdoms are a place akin to the island in 'The Tempest', (or The
      River in 'Riverworld for the less classically inclinced) where people from
      various times and places end up, through some weird and unknown means. That
      is to say, I'm from England and my lord husband is from Russia, but we *met*
      in Atenveldt, where we were both living. One day, of course, we may go back
      to one of our homelands, but for now we are content where we are.

      -Katherine

    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
        My question is:
        Do you play completely in persona - and do not behave as your mundane
        self - at SCA events?
        Or are you basically your mundane self with a veneer of persona
        (garb, food, accessories, etc.)

        There is a difference between understanding what the life of your
        persona would have been like, and being a SCAdian at SCA events.

        His Grace, Duke Cariadoc, always stays in persona (unless there's a
        good reason to revert to the mundane, like an emergency). His wife
        has a persona from a very different culture and time period (and she
        does not always play in persona). I recommend you read some of his
        essays to help you reconcile your persona and what you actually do at
        SCA events.

        There are articles here written *in persona*. You first want to read
        his articles ABOUT persona
        http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
        -- Concerning a dream
        -- Staying In Persona and Other Things: An Opinion
        -- The Little Things
        -- Some Sources for Islamic Persona
        -- Adjusting to Reality
        -- A Dying Dream
        -- The Enchanted Ground: A Progress Report
        -- Concerning Consistency (or: Ignorance is Bliss)
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita

        My LibraryThing
      • Joan Mielke Yost
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "pandora_heinlein"
          <urselstegerin@...> wrote:
          So when on a persona survey I 'm asked, am i married, well
          > no as the person I want to be I wouldn't be married to him because
          > he wouldn't exsist in my time frame.

          "Persona survey??"

          Jehanne
        • Ursel Stegerin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
            ]Jehanne asked ...
            > "Persona survey??"
            >
            > Jehanne

            Sorry, its really a persona development worksheet.
            http://www.modaruniversity.org/Persona1.htm

            I'm trying to more deeply develop my persona and thought it might be
            a good place to start.

            --
            Ursel Stegerin
            Barony of Madrone
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
              Thanks i'll read that over. I'm looking at persona development with
              an eye to playing in persona at events.

              --
              Ursel Stegerin
              Barony of Madrone