Reconciling real life with who you want to be.

  • pandora_heinlein
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 12:14 AM
      I'm currently working on fleshing my persona story out and as I'm
      doing research, I'm struck by the difficulty of reconciling who I want
      to be, with who my boyfriend is. He's got a basic persona story
      himself, and honestly, our backgrounds don't meld nor do our
      interests. So when on a persona survey I 'm asked, am i married, well
      no as the person I want to be I wouldn't be married to him because
      he wouldn't exsist in my time frame.

      I guess I also wonder how much any of that matters, beyond me having
      an idea of who I am and aligning my gear to match. After all, I've
      never had anyone ask anything beyond my name. If they ask where I'm
      from its pretty clear that they mean mundanely or within the SCA region.

      Any sage advice for me?
      Ursel Stegerin
    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 6:45 AM
        "Let's do the time warp again."

        It's funny how many couples choose to be from different eras and
        cultures. I'm about 100 years earlier than my husband. Geographically, we
        could have met--we're both Gordons, although he's of the Scottish branch
        and I the English, and we're distant relatives.

        I wouldn't worry about it.

        Arlys

        On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 07:14:55 -0000 "pandora_heinlein"
        <urselstegerin@...> writes:
        > I'm currently working on fleshing my persona story out and as I'm
        > doing research, I'm struck by the difficulty of reconciling who I
        > want
        > to be, with who my boyfriend is. He's got a basic persona story
        > himself, and honestly, our backgrounds don't meld nor do our
        > interests. So when on a persona survey I 'm asked, am i married,
        > well
        > no as the person I want to be I wouldn't be married to him because
        > he wouldn't exsist in my time frame.
        >
        > I guess I also wonder how much any of that matters, beyond me having
        > an idea of who I am and aligning my gear to match. After all, I've
        > never had anyone ask anything beyond my name. If they ask where I'm
        > from its pretty clear that they mean mundanely or within the SCA
        > region.
        >
        > Any sage advice for me?
        > Ursel Stegerin

        Need name badges? Click here to find great name badge solutions!
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3oEwY2p8VvBcXVQdRngcgMRBiQMEbW4BHoU65mFyYrEeMo1D/
      • Katherine Throckmorton
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 8:37 AM
          Personally, I'm a fan of Duke Cariadoc's approach, which is to assume that
          the Laurel Kingdoms are a place akin to the island in 'The Tempest', (or The
          River in 'Riverworld for the less classically inclinced) where people from
          various times and places end up, through some weird and unknown means. That
          is to say, I'm from England and my lord husband is from Russia, but we *met*
          in Atenveldt, where we were both living. One day, of course, we may go back
          to one of our homelands, but for now we are content where we are.

          -Katherine

        • Lilinah
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 11:56 AM
            My question is:
            Do you play completely in persona - and do not behave as your mundane
            self - at SCA events?
            Or are you basically your mundane self with a veneer of persona
            (garb, food, accessories, etc.)

            There is a difference between understanding what the life of your
            persona would have been like, and being a SCAdian at SCA events.

            His Grace, Duke Cariadoc, always stays in persona (unless there's a
            good reason to revert to the mundane, like an emergency). His wife
            has a persona from a very different culture and time period (and she
            does not always play in persona). I recommend you read some of his
            essays to help you reconcile your persona and what you actually do at
            SCA events.

            There are articles here written *in persona*. You first want to read
            his articles ABOUT persona
            http://www.pbm.com/%7Elindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
            -- Concerning a dream
            -- Staying In Persona and Other Things: An Opinion
            -- The Little Things
            -- Some Sources for Islamic Persona
            -- Adjusting to Reality
            -- A Dying Dream
            -- The Enchanted Ground: A Progress Report
            -- Concerning Consistency (or: Ignorance is Bliss)
            --
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
            the persona formerly known as Anahita

            My LibraryThing
          • Joan Mielke Yost
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 3:19 PM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "pandora_heinlein"
              <urselstegerin@...> wrote:
              So when on a persona survey I 'm asked, am i married, well
              > no as the person I want to be I wouldn't be married to him because
              > he wouldn't exsist in my time frame.

              "Persona survey??"

              Jehanne
            • Ursel Stegerin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 11:44 PM
                ]Jehanne asked ...
                > "Persona survey??"
                >
                > Jehanne

                Sorry, its really a persona development worksheet.
                http://www.modaruniversity.org/Persona1.htm

                I'm trying to more deeply develop my persona and thought it might be
                a good place to start.

                --
                Ursel Stegerin
                Barony of Madrone
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4 12:06 AM
                  Thanks i'll read that over. I'm looking at persona development with
                  an eye to playing in persona at events.

                  --
                  Ursel Stegerin
                  Barony of Madrone