Re: [Authentic_SCA] Homebrew book help

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      Desamona wrote:
      >Ok! That’s it!!!
      >
      >I’ve been trying since early 2005 to get ahold of Falconwood Press to
      >purchase 2 books from them, but I have never successfully got ahold of them,
      >let alone bought any books!
      >
      >So, I am going to post on here, hoping someone will help me. I am looking
      >for 2 titles:
      >
      >Nicolo Zoppino’s “Esemplario 1530” (graphed by Susan J Evans)
      >
      >Nicolo Zoppino’s “Universali, 1537” (also graphed by Susan J Evans)
      >
      >These are “homebrew” books, I believe, since no library I know carries
      >copies of them (except for the originals). I would be more than happy to
      >pay for any costs associated with photocopying, shipping, purchasing an old
      >copy…. Whatever.
      >
      >Anyone able to help me? I would be ever, ever so grateful!!!

      First, Falconwood Press is no more, ceased quite some time before 2005.
      Second, i'm pretty sure those Zoppino books are
      for needlework (i.e. embroidery, lace, etc.), not
      home brewing.
      Third, for used, out-of-print, and even new books i check:
      http://www.bookfinder.com
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita

      My LibraryThing
    • Jenn Ridley
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
        On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:51:28 -0700, Lilinah <lilinah@...>
        wrote:

        >Desamona wrote:
        >>Ok! That’s it!!!
        >>
        >>I’ve been trying since early 2005 to get ahold of Falconwood Press to
        >>purchase 2 books from them, but I have never successfully got ahold of them,
        >>let alone bought any books!
        >>
        >>So, I am going to post on here, hoping someone will help me. I am looking
        >>for 2 titles:
        >>
        >>Nicolo Zoppino’s “Esemplario 1530” (graphed by Susan J Evans)
        >>
        >>Nicolo Zoppino’s “Universali, 1537” (also graphed by Susan J Evans)
        >>
        >>These are “homebrew” books, I believe, since no library I know carries
        >>copies of them (except for the originals). I would be more than happy to
        >>pay for any costs associated with photocopying, shipping, purchasing an old
        >>copy…. Whatever.
        >>
        >>Anyone able to help me? I would be ever, ever so grateful!!!
        >
        >First, Falconwood Press is no more, ceased quite some time before 2005.
        >Second, i'm pretty sure those Zoppino books are
        >for needlework (i.e. embroidery, lace, etc.), not
        >home brewing.

        I don't think that Desamona meant books on home brewing, rather meant
        'homebrew' books, as in done at home; probably through a copy shop
        with a comb binder. I have copies of both Zoppinos in the workroom
        somewhere, iirc, but my workroom is still only half unpacked from a
        rebuild, and they seem to be in one of the still-packed boxes.

        >Third, for used, out-of-print, and even new books i check:
        >http://www.bookfinder.com

        Bookfinder probably will not be able to help with the Zoppino
        reprints, as they were originally printed by a small press and
        probably weren't ever commercially distributed.

        Try Ruth Kern Books <http://www.ruthkernbooks.com/>(a needlework book
        reseller), or a SCA-centric bookseller who carries a lot of tiny-press
        books, and keep looking. (I think I got mine through Lacis, or maybe
        Poison Pen, but it's been years.)

        stasia

        --
        Jenn Ridley : jridley@...
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
          Jenn wrote:
          >I don't think that Desamona meant books on home brewing, rather meant
          >'homebrew' books, as in done at home; probably through a copy shop
          >with a comb binder. I have copies of both Zoppinos in the workroom
          >somewhere, iirc, but my workroom is still only half unpacked from a
          >rebuild, and they seem to be in one of the still-packed boxes.

          Thank. I've never heard them referred to that way before.

          >Try Ruth Kern Books <http://www.ruthkernbooks.com/>(a needlework book
          >reseller), or a SCA-centric bookseller who carries a lot of tiny-press
          >books, and keep looking. (I think I got mine through Lacis, or maybe
          >Poison Pen, but it's been years.)

          I'll be checking out Ruth Kern (but don't worry, not for Zoppino).

          I live near Lacis, so i drop into the shop at least monthly. It's a
          wonderland for those who do all sorts of textile handwork and
          costuming - books, tools, threads, special fabric, lace, everything
          for making your own corset, hat blanks, etc.
          http://www.lacis.com

          And i've purchased from Devra (Poison Pen Press) and even worked for
          her at Pennsic last year. She's at Pennsic now, but she may be
          checking her e-mail nightly in her motel.
          http://www.poisonpenpress.com