Re: Reviews of history-themed movies on Guardian web site

  • ren_junkie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      I had to stop reading after the Chinese nunchaku comment (it's
      Okinawan), and after he said the lacof Stirling bridge
      was "inexplicable". It's explained very well. They didn't have the
      budget to build a medival bridge. I don't like the lack of bridge, but
      it's hardly inexplicable. And he didn't use a nunchaku. Ever. Not at
      all in the movie. And I remember Bruce Lee took a lot of heat for using
      an Okinawan nunchaku in Enter the Dragon, as opposed to a CHinese 3-
      section flail.

      Not defending the movie's accuracy any, but I found the critic to be as
      badly informed as many of the movie's presented "facts"

      Christopher
    • xina007eu
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ren_junkie" <ren_junkie@...>
        wrote:

        > I had to stop reading after the Chinese nunchaku comment (it's
        > Okinawan), and after he said the lacof Stirling bridge
        > was "inexplicable". It's explained very well. They didn't have the
        > budget to build a medival bridge. I don't like the lack of bridge, but
        > it's hardly inexplicable. And he didn't use a nunchaku. Ever. Not at
        > all in the movie. And I remember Bruce Lee took a lot of heat for
        using
        > an Okinawan nunchaku in Enter the Dragon, as opposed to a CHinese 3-
        > section flail.
        >
        > Not defending the movie's accuracy any, but I found the critic to be
        as
        > badly informed as many of the movie's presented "facts"
        >
        > Christopher

        Well, I guess they might have had the budget for a model of a medieval
        bridge and maybe some blue box technology (or whatever they use
        nowadays for this kind of stuff) to make it look like the battle took
        part on a real bridge. They sure had the budget for those mechanical
        horses and they advertised that they used these and did not harm any
        real horses during the battle scenes!
        So what would you call the thingy that Braveheart uses in that meeting
        scene? Does this have a name at all in martial arts?
        (BTW, Wikipedia claims that "Although the certain origin of nunchaku is
        disputed, it is thought to come from China through the Japanese island
        of Okinawa". I hope that makes it all right for Bruce Lee to have used
        it.)
        Also, the Guardian's film critic is a she, not a he :-)
        Best regards,

        Christina
      • ren_junkie
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2008
          Actually on budget, I'm just going by what the movie makers said. A
          blue screen on that scale at that time would have looked terrible.
          Lord of the Rings was really the first to do big huge convincing CGI
          battles in landscapes that were a mix of models, set, matte, and
          CGI. The mechanical horses were peanuts compared to what it would
          have cost to build Stirling bridge. And it couldn't be a model,
          becaue you'd have to have horses pounding over it.

          I'd assume it was just a threshing flail. Farming implement, same
          tool that gave birth to military flails of various tyes all across
          Euraisia. And even tho we all know Wiki is the most reliable source
          out there, 'chucks are definitely not Chinese. At least not in a
          martial arts sense. The tradition there is a 3-sectioned flail.
          Rather a large device. The 'chucks as we all think of them come
          from the karate heritage, which is Okinawan. It was just a regular
          threshing flail. The Japanese ruled Okinawa, and the Okinawan
          peasants were not allowed weapons, so they had to use stuff like
          that. The sickles were also popular as they were a farming
          implement. In fact, hinged and chained flails were used all over
          Europe for military and civilian functions. Doubt in the movie it
          was intended as a martial arts weapon.

          No, the King Fu gurus of the time were all over Bruce about it. In
          fact, when Jackie Chan did the sequel to "Enter the Dragon" (Bruce
          was dead), he used the traditional Chinese flail.

          She?...Oops, I suppose I failed to look at the name.

          Thanks,
          Christopher