Re: When were "growth tucks" used in children's clothing?

  • mary_m_haselbauer
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 25, 2008
      I hadn't thought of it this way. I've tried different ways of making
      my daughter's clothing growable but this hasn't always been graceful.
      I think in period for day to day clothing a family might not think in
      terms of each child having their own clothes. They'd have a box of
      tunics and which ever kid they fit would get to wear them. Maybe for
      a special occasion new clothing would be made for individual kids but
      it would fit them then. I have no evidence for this as I'm just
      trying to think in terms of people living closer together and having
      larger families.

      The surviving children's clothing that I know about do not have any
      growth allowances built in. However, they are almost exclusively
      burial items which biases the information.

      Karen thank you for all the work you've done in assembing images.
      Just last night I directed people to your site when I did a class
      about period toys.

      Cheers,
      Slaine
      B3R, Calontir
    • oisswafford
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 30, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen"
        <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
        Thank you all for your help on this.

        Gwenlliana.
      • Joan Mielke Yost
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
          > My question at the moment is about "growth tucks" in children's
          clothing... it was common to sew tucks into the hemlines and
          sleeves of children, so that as the child grew, the tucks could be
          taken out, thereby lengthening the sleeves/hemlines so the child
          could wear the garment longer.

          Catherine,
          It took me a while to find this image on-line...This image shows a
          mid-15th century Spanish overgown with a tuck in it that certainly
          looks like a growth tuck. This feature is found in other Spanish
          women's gowns around the same time, but I have never seen it
          elsewhere. It seems to show up around the same time as the pre-
          farthingale skirt with the bones sewn into the outer fabric.
          However, in this dress, the purpose is clearly not to hold the skirt
          out...

          http://www.all-art.org/gothic_era/page14/martorell8.jpg

          The woman in this altarpiece is a "foreigner," but the only variances
          in her dress (i.e., differences from how normal women dressed) are
          the vee neckline and possibly the way her head covering is wrapped.
          Otherwise, the characteristics of her dress are found elsewhere in
          Spanish art of the same time period.

          Jehanne
        • Catharine Decker
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
            Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would be appropriate on gowns at least from this era on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used for growth tucks per se, if they were used for decoration, then it would still be acceptable. No?

            Catharine
          • Rebecca Klingbeil
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
              --- Catharine Decker <cdeckerwi@...> wrote:

              > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be
              > safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck
              > would be appropriate on gowns at least from this era
              > on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used
              > for growth tucks per se, if they were used for
              > decoration, then it would still be acceptable. No?
              >
              > Catharine

              I suppose it also depends not only on time period but
              also on the age of the child. As I have been gathering
              and sorting images from SCA period (business project),
              I have noticed quite a number of images of children.
              Not just the Child in Madonnas, though you can see a
              variety of ways that very young children were dressed
              that way. Usually they are on the edges of crowd
              scenes and such, and they are more common then one
              would think. Portraits are another matter - the
              children in those seem dressed up in their best
              finery.

              At least for the early to middle of period, most
              children seem to be dressed in unstructured
              lose-fitting garments like t-tunics. Even when the
              adults around them are wearing close fitting
              coathardies and kirtles and such, children are wearing
              loose tunics with simple belts, often with a slit in
              front for freedom of movement. Even older children
              seem to wear simpler versions of grown up clothing.
              It's as if parents were practical and said 'We're not
              going to put anything on you with a lot of labor
              involved until you've stopped growing.' There are
              exceptions, of course, but even when the clothes are
              closefitting like adults, they seem simpler in nearly
              all cases.

              Examples:
              A young child in a simple tunic with a slit, 13thc.:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=16490

              An older boy [far right of painting] in a loose tunic
              with belt and pouch and hood, 1312-1317:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=26880

              Three boys of what we'd call 'grade school' age
              perhaps, bottom left of picture, 1328-1330:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=23133

              Boys climbing trees [back of painting], 1365-1368:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21226

              Man leading a toddler/preschooler away from the crowd
              [bottom left], 1380 with an older child behind:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21226

              A woman holding a toddler who dressed for easy
              clean-up, 1426-1427:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24791

              Child - perhaps girl but given the period and age
              might be a boy - in the front of the crowd [center],
              1426-1427:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24793

              Older boy/youth [far right of this detail of a
              painting] 1437:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21198

              A whole group of children of different ages [bottom
              right] 1447:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24952

              Child with his mother [left of painting] 1464-1467:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21840

              A number of young children, the oldest wearing
              something that he certainly has a lot of growing room
              in [center front, striped clothing] 1509:
              http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=19681

              I haven't gotten much into the 16th c. though. Perhaps
              as clothes became more complicated and more, I don't
              know, structured? - things changed. We'll see as I
              progress through the artwork.

              Leofwynn Marchaunt
            • Joan Mielke Yost
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would be
                appropriate on gowns at least from this era on?

                Actually, no. As far as I have been able to learn, this particular
                feature of women's dress is specific to 15th c. Spain. I does show up
                again later, but not until after the 17th century.

                Jehanne
              • Catharine Decker
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                  Ah, OK. Thanks.

                  What are your thoughts on a wide hem, to be let out to lengthen the sleeves
                  and bottom hem?

                  Catharine
                • Carrie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                    > What are your thoughts on a wide hem, to be let out to lengthen the
                    sleeves
                    > and bottom hem?
                    >
                    > Catharine

                    I personally do this after the time I made my daughter 4 new dresses
                    and then she hit a growth spurt and they were no longer wearable and
                    she had only worn them once. Now I add extra length in the hem to be
                    let down. I don't worry too much about the sleeves because most of
                    what we wear here in Trimaris is short sleeved anyway so I just make
                    them a little long the first time. I have found that the dresses last
                    a little longer this way.

                    Grainne mhic Neill
                  • sue_clemenger
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catharine Decker <cdeckerwi@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be safe to conclude
                      then that the use of such a tuck would be appropriate on gowns at least
                      from this era on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used for
                      growth tucks per se, if they were used for decoration, then it would
                      still be acceptable. No?

                      > Catharine

                      Hi, Catharine!
                      I've got several images in a book on Sofonisba Anguissola (late
                      16th/early 17th c. painter), in which she's depicting children, and
                      IIRC, the skirts of the little girls distinctly show growth tucks. And
                      these are princesses of the Spanish court, in fancy clothing, so we're
                      definitely talking upper class.
                      --Maire
                    • sue_clemenger
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Mielke Yost"
                        <joan.mielke.yost@...> wrote:

                        > Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would
                        be
                        > appropriate on gowns at least from this era on?
                        >
                        > Actually, no. As far as I have been able to learn, this particular
                        > feature of women's dress is specific to 15th c. Spain. I does show
                        up
                        > again later, but not until after the 17th century.
                        >
                        > Jehanne

                        Jehanne, I've got pictures of substantial tucks in children's skirts in
                        late 16th century Spain. So it's not just skipping from the 15th to
                        the 18th centuries and in adult clothing....
                        --Maire
                      • Hera Davidson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                          Hi
                          I wouldn't necessarily say that the tucks on the infantas dresses are growth tucks, as these tucks also appear on the dresses of adult women, such as their stepmother's.
                          Cheers
                          Hera
                        • Rebecca Klingbeil
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                            --- sue_clemenger <sue_clemenger@...> wrote:

                            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catharine
                            > Decker <cdeckerwi@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be
                            > safe to conclude
                            > then that the use of such a tuck would be
                            > appropriate on gowns at least
                            > from this era on? It seems to me that even if they
                            > weren't used for
                            > growth tucks per se, if they were used for
                            > decoration, then it would
                            > still be acceptable. No?
                            > >
                            > > Catharine
                            > >
                            > Hi, Catharine!
                            > I've got several images in a book on Sofonisba
                            > Anguissola (late
                            > 16th/early 17th c. painter), in which she's
                            > depicting children, and
                            > IIRC, the skirts of the little girls distinctly show
                            > growth tucks. And
                            > these are princesses of the Spanish court, in fancy
                            > clothing, so we're
                            > definitely talking upper class.
                            > --Maire

                            For those who may be somewhat confused: Sofonisba
                            Anguissola was one of 6 sisters, all painters, from
                            Italy. Their father was extremely forward thinking for
                            his time and gave them education and training not
                            normally available to women, even of their class. She
                            spent time as a lady-in-waiting in the Spanish court,
                            and is best known for her portraiture, especially of
                            her sisters and family. She was limited in her ability
                            to take on commissions of religious paintings, etc.,
                            because she was unable to freely study anatomy or the
                            drawing of nudes. She eventually married an Italian
                            (and later as a widow another Italian).

                            So, if you look her up, you must look under Italian
                            artists - even though she did a number of portraits of
                            the ladies of the Spanish court.

                            Leofwynn Marchaunt
                          • Joan Mielke Yost
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sue_clemenger"
                              <sue_clemenger@...> wrote:
                              > Jehanne, I've got pictures of substantial tucks in children's skirts
                              in late 16th century Spain. So it's not just skipping from the 15th to
                              > the 18th centuries and in adult clothing....
                              > --Maire

                              Thank you for the information. I haven't had access to later Spanish
                              images.

                              Fashion was ever fickle, as it is today. I wonder though, why this
                              design detail does not show up in art from other regions as did other
                              Spanish fashions.

                              Jehanne
                            • Ann Catelli
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008
                                Because the Spanish dressed funny. I.e., there was a distinct Spanish style for as far back as I've seen Spanish clothing, not exactly like the core England/France/Lowlands areas that are fairly easy for an English-speaker to research.

                                I'm sure those Spanish people who cared thought all through all the years that foreigners dressed funny, of course.

                                Copying a style, as the English were so fond of during Elizabeth's reign, rarely means actually wearing the whole outfit as the source would.

                                Ann in CT

                                > Fashion was ever fickle, as it is today. I wonder though, why this
                                > design detail does not show up in art from other regions as did other
                                > Spanish fashions.
                                >
                                > Jehanne
                              • Joan Mielke Yost
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008