Re: [Authentic_SCA] reliquaries

  • Samia al-Kaslaania
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2008
      Chris Laning wrote:
      > As Leofwynn said, it somewhat depends on what kind you're talking
      > about and what you want to do with the information.

      That was not a question I had considered, but it certainly makes sense.
      I am looking for traveling reliquaries, that pilgrim might carry, rather
      than static reliquaries that a church would hold.

      Thank you for helping me clarify.

      Samia
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2008
        On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Samia al-Kaslaania wrote:

        > That was not a question I had considered, but it certainly makes
        > sense.
        > I am looking for traveling reliquaries, that pilgrim might carry,
        > rather
        > than static reliquaries that a church would hold.

        Hm. Those tend to be less common and less easy to find from the
        medieval era, but of course they existed. The ones that went to
        churches and *stayed* there, of course, are the ones most likely to
        still be around today in identifiable locations.

        Okay, after dragging a bunch of books off the bookshelf and doing
        some digging, here's what I've come up with.

        Basically, from anything I can find out, the sorts of personal
        reliquaries someone might have worn or carried on pilgrimage would be
        pretty much the same sorts that they would wear or carry just in
        daily life. Or, perhaps, in daily life if they were aristocratic or
        wealthy or wearing their best clothes, anyway.

        Relics seem often to have been wrapped in some sort of cloth for
        protection, in many cases in especially precious or splendid bits of
        cloth (silk brocade or the like) but sometimes just plain linen. They
        were also frequently given little parchment labels for
        identification. The wrapped relic might then have been put into some
        kind of more durable outside case.

        There are examples in church treasuries of relics simply wrapped in
        cloth and put into a small bag (a "reliquary purse") but I don't know
        whether they would have been carried around just in the little purse,
        or whether further protection was required. Personally, if I was
        carrying something like a bit of saint's bone around, I wouldn't let
        it rattle around loose in my pocket without some more substantial
        protection than just a cloth bag.

        Metal cases fall into a number of fairly common types. These include:

        (1) An ampulla or tiny flask, usually out of some common metal like
        pewter, sometimes crystal or precious metal. This might contain drops
        of water from the river Jordan (I have one of those), or it might be
        sacred oil from some shrine or water from a particular well. Modern
        reproductions are available of these, and the neck is lined with pine
        pitch so they can be gently heated and crimped to provide a
        watertight seal.
        Here's a photo of mine: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/
        14542130>
        And the source I bought the ampulla from (these are great
        folks): <http://billyandcharlie.com/ampul.html>

        (2) A cross or religious medal made in two sections that fasten
        together with a space in between. The space could contain relics, or
        some other religious artifact such as an Agnus Dei (disk of specially
        blessed wax).
        Here's a reproduction I have of a medieval cross that might
        have contained relics: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/claning/354232476>

        (3) A pendant in some form that has a natural hollow space in it --
        the example I'm thinking of is a 16th-c. gold jewel from the British
        Museum that shows a lamb resting on a book. The "book" part of the
        pendant is hollow and may have contained relics or wax as mentioned
        above. I can't find an image of this online at the moment.
        There is also the so-called Talisman of Charlemagne: <http://
        vrcoll.fa.pitt.edu/stones-HAA0050/unit-32-Sculpture-Carolingian/Web-
        Pages/Unit32-Full.00058.html> which has a tiny relic that was
        originally sandwiched between two pieces of sapphire (one is now
        glass) and surrounded by an elaborate jeweled frame.

        (4) A purpose-made case that isn't anything else, just a small box in
        which the relic can be kept safe. There's one in the Metropolitan
        Museum of Art, but I can't turn up an image of it online at the
        moment. It's a small silver box from about 1400, about two inches
        long with a closely fitting lid, inside a boiled-leather case. I have
        a photo somewhere of another little rectangular box on a long chain,
        to be worn as a necklace.

        Some larger reliquaries also have arrangements for wearing, though
        they are less likely to have been worn every day. A couple of the
        little metal 'house-shaped" reliquaries (which are often just a few
        inches long) have rings or other attachments and could have been worn
        hanging from a string or strap around the neck. One such reliquary is
        pictured here, called "Ranvaig's casket": <http://www.amnh.org/
        exhibitions/vikings/going.html>

        19th and 20th century personal reliquaries are easy to find, as they
        were made in vast quantities. Most of them have very tiny relics
        (bread-crumb sized) inside a silver or brass case with a glass top,
        and they are frequently decorated with little stamped-metal
        ornaments, bits of silk or embroidery and the like. The tradition of
        decorating religious objects in this way does go back before 1600,
        but the styles are likely to be somewhat different.

        Where to find this information -- the best sources, as I said, are
        usually books about church treasuries or aristocratic collections.
        Unless the collector specialized in such things, there are likely to
        be only one or two reliquaries of interest in any given book, so it
        does take some searching. Another place to look is books on medieval
        and Renaissance jewelry. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any recent
        books that collect a lot of examples just of reliquaries all in one
        place. (There's a big fat German book from the early 20th century,
        but it is pretty obscure and tends to concentrate on the bigger
        pieces that sat around in churches.)

        As for the types of relics that one might *acquire* on pilgrimage, as
        a souvenir or to prove that you had actually been there, that's a
        different question and a bit harder to research, but there are
        certainly records of such things. They tend to turn up more in a
        different set of books, however -- those specifically about
        pilgrimage and pilgrimage sites.

        One type of relic that is very common in modern times, but that I
        haven't seen a lot of examples of in our period, is a piece of cloth
        that has been *touched* to a relic. One of the relics I have, for
        instance, is a tiny piece of cloth that was touched to a relic of the
        True Cross. Of course, if such a thing did survive from the medieval
        centuries, we wouldn't know what it was unless it was specially
        labeled -- but at least I can say that I haven't seen examples of
        medieval _cases_ for such a "secondary" relic.

        Hopefully this is of some help. More information is available if
        there are specific questions.

        I'm actually grateful that someone jogged my elbow and prompted me to
        research this, as I've been saying I'd like to develop a class on the
        subject, and this is some of the research I need to do that will
        actually make it happen ;)

      • Samia al-Kaslaania
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
          http://www.cottesimple.com/alms_purse/alms_purse_history.html

          While doing other research I found this site. There is a montage photo
          on this site with a collection of reliquaries.

          Samia
        • Marianne Perdomo / Leonor (SCA)
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning

            Great post!! I enjoyed this thread and this post in particular! :)

            > One type of relic that is very common in modern times, but that I
            > haven't seen a lot of examples of in our period, is a piece of cloth
            > that has been *touched* to a relic. One of the relics I have, for
            > instance, is a tiny piece of cloth that was touched to a relic of the
            > True Cross. Of course, if such a thing did survive from the medieval
            > centuries, we wouldn't know what it was unless it was specially
            > labeled -- but at least I can say that I haven't seen examples of
            > medieval _cases_ for such a "secondary" relic.

            That reminds me of a small mirror some web merchant sells. You're
            suppose to use it to "capture" the reflection of a shrine. But I've
            never come across any proper references about this.

            Cheers!

            Leonor
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
              I realize this is not what you're looking for, but I figured I'd
              mention it as someone might find it of interest. The Japanese have a
              tradition of wearing or carrying amulets of various sorts that dates
              from our period and continues today, although the modern version may
              take the form of a cell phone charm. (Do a search on o-mamori if you
              don't believe me.)

              http://www.wodefordhall.com/kake.htm has some information on
              adaptation of a pilgrim's amulet case for modern SCA use. Not long
              after I made it, I happened to see the movie "Sansho the Bailiff". The
              father, going into exile, presents his son with a similar case
              containing a small statue of Kannon (known in China as Kwan Yin), the
              Buddhist deity of mercy, with a pivotal speech about the importance of
              mercy, which figures largely in the film.

              Two sen worth,
              Saionji no Hanae, sometimes known as Jehanne de Wodeford
              West Kingdom
            • Rebecca Klingbeil
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2008
                <marianne@...> wrote:

                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Chris Laning
                >
                > Great post!! I enjoyed this thread and this post in
                > particular! :)
                >
                > > One type of relic that is very common in modern
                > times, but that I
                > > haven't seen a lot of examples of in our period,
                > is a piece of cloth
                > > that has been *touched* to a relic. One of the
                > relics I have, for
                > > instance, is a tiny piece of cloth that was
                > touched to a relic of the
                > > True Cross. Of course, if such a thing did survive
                > from the medieval
                > > centuries, we wouldn't know what it was unless it
                > was specially
                > > labeled -- but at least I can say that I haven't
                > seen examples of
                > > medieval _cases_ for such a "secondary" relic.

                WARNING: Getting technical :) Just FYI for anyone who
                might care and for deletion by those who don't. :)

                In the modern period, in Catholic devotional practice,
                there are three levels of 'relics'. A first-level or
                'primary' relic is the body part of saint [St.
                Januarius' blood, St. Such-and-such's bone, etc.] or a
                relic of the Passion [splinter of the 'True Cross',
                the Shroud of Turin, etc]. A first-class relic is
                required to consecrate an altar - all Catholic altars
                have a small piece of a saint in them - not
                necessarily the saint the church building is dedicated
                to, though.

                A second-class or secondary relic is an item a saint
                used regularly or wore regularly [the Virgin's veil,
                Padre Pio's gloves that he wore to cover up his
                stigmata, Mother Teresa's rosary].

                A third-class or tertiary relic is anything that has
                been touched to either a first-class or second-class
                relic. There are very common modernly - they are often
                contained inside rosaries or other devotional items.

                There are strict rules about selling relics - and I
                know that first and second class relics are forbidden
                to be sold without a special dispensation. Third-class
                is different but I'm not sure of the specifics.

                END TECHNICAL DISCUSSION. :)

                Leofwynn Marchaunt
              • Chris Laning
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2008
                  On Aug 8, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Rebecca Klingbeil wrote:

                  > A third-class or tertiary relic is anything that has
                  > been touched to either a first-class or second-class
                  > relic. There are very common modernly - they are often
                  > contained inside rosaries or other devotional items.
                  >
                  > There are strict rules about selling relics - and I
                  > know that first and second class relics are forbidden
                  > to be sold without a special dispensation. Third-class
                  > is different but I'm not sure of the specifics.
                  >
                  > END TECHNICAL DISCUSSION. :)

                  All quite correct.

                  As I understand it, under current canon (church) law, no relic may be
                  sold.

                  You can, however, sell a case or something that "just happens" to
                  have a relic in it -- but you are not allowed to charge extra. You
                  will see this all the time on eBay -- search on "relic" sometime. At
                  least half of the sellers will say explicitly in their description
                  that the price is for the case, "the relic is a gift."

                  I had never heard that the situation was any different for third-
                  class relics. But as I've said before, I don't recall hearing very
                  much about third-class relics in the Middle Ages. Chaucer's fake
                  Pardoner, for instance, is selling bits of bone IIRC (he claims they
                  are saint's bones but they are really pig bones) which would be first-
                  class relics.

                  Then again, maybe the reason you don't hear much about third-class
                  relics is that they weren't especially valuable or rare ;)

                  I should also add that there are many Catholics today -- usually the
                  more conservative types -- who believe that not only should you not
                  sell a relic, you shouldn't sell the container it's in, either.
                  Apparently canon law specifically forbade that until the early 1900s.
                  Current canon law doesn't say anything one way or the other.

                  I actually have a couple of reliquaries, which live with my "teaching
                  collection" -- they are 19th or 20th century, but even many
                  practicing modern Catholics have never seen an actual saint's relic,
                  since they are more or less "out of fashion" these days. I wrote
                  about them here:
                  http://paternosters.blogspot.com/2005/06/retirement-home-ii-relics.html