Re: When were "growth tucks" used in children's clothing?

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 20, 2008
      That style seems to be fairly consistent with illustrations of grown men's clothing in the Golden Haggadah, though:
      http://www.imagesonline.bl.uk/results.asp?image=011765
      http://www.imagesonline.bl.uk/results.asp?image=012179
      So I'm not sure we can really say for sure that the fullness above the belt is specifically meant to allow for children's growth, since those men seem fairly grown-up to me. ;-) It seems fairly consistent with what we see on children in the early 14th century in general.

      I've been collecting images of children's clothing at http://larsdatter.com/children.htm in case that's of use, but I don't remember any specific examples there that show distinct evidence of what you're looking for.

      Karen
    • Joan Mielke
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 21, 2008
        Thanks Karen for posting such a wonderful resource.

        What I was thinking about the length of children's tunics was not so much
        that they were belted, but simply that they were not full length.

        Jehanne
      • mary_m_haselbauer
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 25, 2008
          I hadn't thought of it this way. I've tried different ways of making
          my daughter's clothing growable but this hasn't always been graceful.
          I think in period for day to day clothing a family might not think in
          terms of each child having their own clothes. They'd have a box of
          tunics and which ever kid they fit would get to wear them. Maybe for
          a special occasion new clothing would be made for individual kids but
          it would fit them then. I have no evidence for this as I'm just
          trying to think in terms of people living closer together and having
          larger families.

          The surviving children's clothing that I know about do not have any
          growth allowances built in. However, they are almost exclusively
          burial items which biases the information.

          Karen thank you for all the work you've done in assembing images.
          Just last night I directed people to your site when I did a class
          about period toys.

          Cheers,
          Slaine
          B3R, Calontir
        • oisswafford
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 30, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen"
            <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:
            Thank you all for your help on this.

            Gwenlliana.
          • Joan Mielke Yost
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
              > My question at the moment is about "growth tucks" in children's
              clothing... it was common to sew tucks into the hemlines and
              sleeves of children, so that as the child grew, the tucks could be
              taken out, thereby lengthening the sleeves/hemlines so the child
              could wear the garment longer.

              Catherine,
              It took me a while to find this image on-line...This image shows a
              mid-15th century Spanish overgown with a tuck in it that certainly
              looks like a growth tuck. This feature is found in other Spanish
              women's gowns around the same time, but I have never seen it
              elsewhere. It seems to show up around the same time as the pre-
              farthingale skirt with the bones sewn into the outer fabric.
              However, in this dress, the purpose is clearly not to hold the skirt
              out...

              http://www.all-art.org/gothic_era/page14/martorell8.jpg

              The woman in this altarpiece is a "foreigner," but the only variances
              in her dress (i.e., differences from how normal women dressed) are
              the vee neckline and possibly the way her head covering is wrapped.
              Otherwise, the characteristics of her dress are found elsewhere in
              Spanish art of the same time period.

              Jehanne
            • Catharine Decker
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
                Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would be appropriate on gowns at least from this era on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used for growth tucks per se, if they were used for decoration, then it would still be acceptable. No?

                Catharine
              • Rebecca Klingbeil
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 3, 2008
                  --- Catharine Decker <cdeckerwi@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be
                  > safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck
                  > would be appropriate on gowns at least from this era
                  > on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used
                  > for growth tucks per se, if they were used for
                  > decoration, then it would still be acceptable. No?
                  >
                  > Catharine

                  I suppose it also depends not only on time period but
                  also on the age of the child. As I have been gathering
                  and sorting images from SCA period (business project),
                  I have noticed quite a number of images of children.
                  Not just the Child in Madonnas, though you can see a
                  variety of ways that very young children were dressed
                  that way. Usually they are on the edges of crowd
                  scenes and such, and they are more common then one
                  would think. Portraits are another matter - the
                  children in those seem dressed up in their best
                  finery.

                  At least for the early to middle of period, most
                  children seem to be dressed in unstructured
                  lose-fitting garments like t-tunics. Even when the
                  adults around them are wearing close fitting
                  coathardies and kirtles and such, children are wearing
                  loose tunics with simple belts, often with a slit in
                  front for freedom of movement. Even older children
                  seem to wear simpler versions of grown up clothing.
                  It's as if parents were practical and said 'We're not
                  going to put anything on you with a lot of labor
                  involved until you've stopped growing.' There are
                  exceptions, of course, but even when the clothes are
                  closefitting like adults, they seem simpler in nearly
                  all cases.

                  Examples:
                  A young child in a simple tunic with a slit, 13thc.:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=16490

                  An older boy [far right of painting] in a loose tunic
                  with belt and pouch and hood, 1312-1317:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=26880

                  Three boys of what we'd call 'grade school' age
                  perhaps, bottom left of picture, 1328-1330:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=23133

                  Boys climbing trees [back of painting], 1365-1368:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21226

                  Man leading a toddler/preschooler away from the crowd
                  [bottom left], 1380 with an older child behind:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21226

                  A woman holding a toddler who dressed for easy
                  clean-up, 1426-1427:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24791

                  Child - perhaps girl but given the period and age
                  might be a boy - in the front of the crowd [center],
                  1426-1427:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24793

                  Older boy/youth [far right of this detail of a
                  painting] 1437:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21198

                  A whole group of children of different ages [bottom
                  right] 1447:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=24952

                  Child with his mother [left of painting] 1464-1467:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=21840

                  A number of young children, the oldest wearing
                  something that he certainly has a lot of growing room
                  in [center front, striped clothing] 1509:
                  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=19681

                  I haven't gotten much into the 16th c. though. Perhaps
                  as clothes became more complicated and more, I don't
                  know, structured? - things changed. We'll see as I
                  progress through the artwork.

                  Leofwynn Marchaunt
                • Joan Mielke Yost
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would be
                    appropriate on gowns at least from this era on?

                    Actually, no. As far as I have been able to learn, this particular
                    feature of women's dress is specific to 15th c. Spain. I does show up
                    again later, but not until after the 17th century.

                    Jehanne
                  • Catharine Decker
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 4, 2008
                      Ah, OK. Thanks.

                      What are your thoughts on a wide hem, to be let out to lengthen the sleeves
                      and bottom hem?

                      Catharine
                    • Carrie
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 5, 2008
                        > What are your thoughts on a wide hem, to be let out to lengthen the
                        sleeves
                        > and bottom hem?
                        >
                        > Catharine

                        I personally do this after the time I made my daughter 4 new dresses
                        and then she hit a growth spurt and they were no longer wearable and
                        she had only worn them once. Now I add extra length in the hem to be
                        let down. I don't worry too much about the sleeves because most of
                        what we wear here in Trimaris is short sleeved anyway so I just make
                        them a little long the first time. I have found that the dresses last
                        a little longer this way.

                        Grainne mhic Neill
                      • sue_clemenger
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catharine Decker <cdeckerwi@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be safe to conclude
                          then that the use of such a tuck would be appropriate on gowns at least
                          from this era on? It seems to me that even if they weren't used for
                          growth tucks per se, if they were used for decoration, then it would
                          still be acceptable. No?

                          > Catharine

                          Hi, Catharine!
                          I've got several images in a book on Sofonisba Anguissola (late
                          16th/early 17th c. painter), in which she's depicting children, and
                          IIRC, the skirts of the little girls distinctly show growth tucks. And
                          these are princesses of the Spanish court, in fancy clothing, so we're
                          definitely talking upper class.
                          --Maire
                        • sue_clemenger
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Mielke Yost"
                            <joan.mielke.yost@...> wrote:

                            > Would it be safe to conclude then that the use of such a tuck would
                            be
                            > appropriate on gowns at least from this era on?
                            >
                            > Actually, no. As far as I have been able to learn, this particular
                            > feature of women's dress is specific to 15th c. Spain. I does show
                            up
                            > again later, but not until after the 17th century.
                            >
                            > Jehanne

                            Jehanne, I've got pictures of substantial tucks in children's skirts in
                            late 16th century Spain. So it's not just skipping from the 15th to
                            the 18th centuries and in adult clothing....
                            --Maire
                          • Hera Davidson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                              Hi
                              I wouldn't necessarily say that the tucks on the infantas dresses are growth tucks, as these tucks also appear on the dresses of adult women, such as their stepmother's.
                              Cheers
                              Hera
                            • Rebecca Klingbeil
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 10, 2008
                                --- sue_clemenger <sue_clemenger@...> wrote:

                                > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Catharine
                                > Decker <cdeckerwi@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thank you! This is very interesting. Would it be
                                > safe to conclude
                                > then that the use of such a tuck would be
                                > appropriate on gowns at least
                                > from this era on? It seems to me that even if they
                                > weren't used for
                                > growth tucks per se, if they were used for
                                > decoration, then it would
                                > still be acceptable. No?
                                > >
                                > > Catharine
                                > >
                                > Hi, Catharine!
                                > I've got several images in a book on Sofonisba
                                > Anguissola (late
                                > 16th/early 17th c. painter), in which she's
                                > depicting children, and
                                > IIRC, the skirts of the little girls distinctly show
                                > growth tucks. And
                                > these are princesses of the Spanish court, in fancy
                                > clothing, so we're
                                > definitely talking upper class.
                                > --Maire

                                For those who may be somewhat confused: Sofonisba
                                Anguissola was one of 6 sisters, all painters, from
                                Italy. Their father was extremely forward thinking for
                                his time and gave them education and training not
                                normally available to women, even of their class. She
                                spent time as a lady-in-waiting in the Spanish court,
                                and is best known for her portraiture, especially of
                                her sisters and family. She was limited in her ability
                                to take on commissions of religious paintings, etc.,
                                because she was unable to freely study anatomy or the
                                drawing of nudes. She eventually married an Italian
                                (and later as a widow another Italian).

                                So, if you look her up, you must look under Italian
                                artists - even though she did a number of portraits of
                                the ladies of the Spanish court.

                                Leofwynn Marchaunt
                              • Joan Mielke Yost
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "sue_clemenger"
                                  <sue_clemenger@...> wrote:
                                  > Jehanne, I've got pictures of substantial tucks in children's skirts
                                  in late 16th century Spain. So it's not just skipping from the 15th to
                                  > the 18th centuries and in adult clothing....
                                  > --Maire

                                  Thank you for the information. I haven't had access to later Spanish
                                  images.

                                  Fashion was ever fickle, as it is today. I wonder though, why this
                                  design detail does not show up in art from other regions as did other
                                  Spanish fashions.

                                  Jehanne
                                • Ann Catelli
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008
                                    Because the Spanish dressed funny. I.e., there was a distinct Spanish style for as far back as I've seen Spanish clothing, not exactly like the core England/France/Lowlands areas that are fairly easy for an English-speaker to research.

                                    I'm sure those Spanish people who cared thought all through all the years that foreigners dressed funny, of course.

                                    Copying a style, as the English were so fond of during Elizabeth's reign, rarely means actually wearing the whole outfit as the source would.

                                    Ann in CT

                                    > Fashion was ever fickle, as it is today. I wonder though, why this
                                    > design detail does not show up in art from other regions as did other
                                    > Spanish fashions.
                                    >
                                    > Jehanne
                                  • Joan Mielke Yost
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 11, 2008