Re: box pleating

  • m d b
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, anorathepain@... wrote:

      > well I am hoping for around 1530 tudor england but I would settle
      for before 1600....

      > Anora

      Sorry for the delay, Yahoo locked me in a loop of insanity when ever
      I tried logging in;)

      http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g09a.jpg
      Nice clear sketc with what we would now call box pleats but really
      didn't have much of a name in period. Even the Victorians called them
      reverse pleats.
      http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g14a.jpg
      From the same series this also appears to have box pleats.

      There really isn't anything special about a box pleat. Once you take
      a fold of fabric you can stack them, reverse them, make them narrow
      make them wider and overlap.... And given that the Eleanora di Toledo
      gown very definitely shows pleats angled towards the back- in fact
      there is a "reverse box" pleat right in the centre back there... well
      it then only comes down to a question of fashion over possibility.
      These pleats seem more common in Italian and Swiss styles.

      I would though recommend shaping skirts as well as pleating them. All
      the skirts prior to 1600 (and most beyond) in PoF are gored, as are
      all the skirts in Alcega (except the half circle underskirts- still
      they aren't tubes).

      regards,
      Willmeyne
      Michaela