Re: replica SCA-period bottles & wines

  • i_odlin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
      > Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
      > ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

      Has anyone in the US bought from these folks before? They have some
      magnificent items on offer, but I'm curious about how well cross-world
      purchasing works with these folks.

      Not to mention how good their stuff really is.

      Thank you.
      -Iain of Malagentia
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
        At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:

        >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
        >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
        >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
        >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
        >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
        >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
        >idea if they are still produced anywhere!

        I do not know of wines available quite that old. Though I have seen
        claret for sale, I have no idea how it compares to 15th-16th century
        types of that name. The oldest wines that I have personally seen were
        some 150 or so years old Madeiras. There are also some quite good
        blends (incorporating actual antique stock) reproducing types of
        Madeira from the early 18th-19th century that are surprisingly
        reasonable in price (partnership between a bottler in New York and
        producer on Madeira). Madeira was popular early because it travels
        and keeps well. The Island was re-discovered and settled in the
        early 15th C. but wine production and export became important in the
        17th C and this may make it too late for your purposes.

        Beth Matney
      • Robert Van Rens
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
          I've purchased from Medieval Design before...my experiences with thier dress accessories, etc. have been very good. Custome contact can be tricky, due to the time difference, but I very much like the items I have purchased from them.

          Eadric the Potter Rob Van Rens www.ironwoodpottery.com
        • lorddonal
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post over previous messages and that you delete any text from previous messages that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            Message order edited:
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
            <bmatney@...> wrote:

            > At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:
            >
            > >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
            > >same categories of wines as were imported into England between
            > >say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that
            > >info along to us?

            Rhenish wine was a clear white wine that is produced from the Rhine
            Valley.

            Malmsey was a strong, sweet white wine from Greece, originally from
            Monemvasia in the Peloponnese.

            Claret was a light red wine from Bordeaux.

            Donal O'Brien
          • digital.princess
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
              Greetings!