Re: replica SCA-period bottles & wines

  • i_odlin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
      > Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
      > ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

      Has anyone in the US bought from these folks before? They have some
      magnificent items on offer, but I'm curious about how well cross-world
      purchasing works with these folks.

      Not to mention how good their stuff really is.

      Thank you.
      -Iain of Malagentia
    • Tiffany Brown
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
        2008/6/21 julian wilson <smnco37@...>:
        > If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the same categories of wines as were imported into England between say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*, malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table,

        Buller wines in Rutherglen, Victoria, Australia produces a malmsey. It
        is a very pleasant amber coloured fortified wine, reminiscent of a
        tokay. I have no idea how similar it is to European Malmseys, let
        alone period ones, but shiraz grown in the same region (due to the
        soil and climate) is known to be very full bodied and strong, even for
        an Australian shiraz (which themselves are known for their vigor).

        The winery's website is here:
        http://www.buller.com.au/index.html
        and a page about the malmsey is here:
        http://www.buller.com.au/source/pdf_wine_web/FO_Malmsey-web.pdf

        I have no idea if they will ship small quantities overseas, or if they
        have any european distributors, but they are a medium sized winery,
        not a small boutique (they sell in national liquor chains in
        australia) and their website has a special section for international
        orders which encourages enquiries.

        Of course, I'd find it very strange if someone in Europe wasn't still
        producing these wines, but they may not be as internet enabled or
        export orientated as Australian wineries..

        good luck, and I would appreciate hearing anything further you find
        out about how various wines available today compare to their medieval
        and renaisance counterparts,

        Teffania

        --
        . ___
        {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
        |)__) is definitely not at
        -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
          At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:

          >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
          >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
          >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
          >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
          >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
          >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
          >idea if they are still produced anywhere!

          I do not know of wines available quite that old. Though I have seen
          claret for sale, I have no idea how it compares to 15th-16th century
          types of that name. The oldest wines that I have personally seen were
          some 150 or so years old Madeiras. There are also some quite good
          blends (incorporating actual antique stock) reproducing types of
          Madeira from the early 18th-19th century that are surprisingly
          reasonable in price (partnership between a bottler in New York and
          producer on Madeira). Madeira was popular early because it travels
          and keeps well. The Island was re-discovered and settled in the
          early 15th C. but wine production and export became important in the
          17th C and this may make it too late for your purposes.

          Beth Matney
        • Robert Van Rens
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
            I've purchased from Medieval Design before...my experiences with thier dress accessories, etc. have been very good. Custome contact can be tricky, due to the time difference, but I very much like the items I have purchased from them.

            Eadric the Potter Rob Van Rens www.ironwoodpottery.com
          • lorddonal
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
              MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post over previous messages and that you delete any text from previous messages that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

              Message order edited:
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
              <bmatney@...> wrote:

              > At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:
              >
              > >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
              > >same categories of wines as were imported into England between
              > >say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that
              > >info along to us?

              Rhenish wine was a clear white wine that is produced from the Rhine
              Valley.

              Malmsey was a strong, sweet white wine from Greece, originally from
              Monemvasia in the Peloponnese.

              Claret was a light red wine from Bordeaux.

              Donal O'Brien
            • digital.princess
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                Greetings!