Re: replica SCA-period bottles & wines

  • Joan Mielke Yost
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
      Finding good glassware and ceramics is an obsession of mine because in
      a former incarnation I was an historical archaeologist. To my
      knowledge, wine was served at table from jugs, not bottles. Glass
      bottles did not come into wider use until the late 16th century, but
      the earliest ones were 10-12" around, squat and globular with a
      relatively short neck. They were handblown and made of very thick
      (1/2"+)dark green glass. They had a rough pontil scar on the bottom,
      but unlike later bottles, they did not have a "push up" or "kick up."

      This link has two pictures of stoneware bottles, as well as a green
      globular bottle. http://www.earlyglass.com/

      The Museum of London has a wonderful pictoral catalogue. There are
      only a few medieval glass items, but take a look at the 17th and 18th
      century page for lots of bottle designs. While the bottles are dated,
      at earliest, 1601, the forms go back further.
      http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/glass.asp

      Jehanne
    • Joan Mielke Yost
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
        Greetings to the good gentles of the list!

        If one is interested in purchasing reproduction bottles, stoneware or
        dining items, I have found the following sites to be useful.

        I am passionate about quality replicas and these are the best I have
        found, so far, in the United States. There are other good sources in
        Europe, as well.

        The reproductions on this site are good to excellent.
        http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=128

        Although primarily known for patterns, this site has excellent
        reproductions.
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/props.php?s=&c=177&q=1

        Replica glassware is also made in Jamestown, Virginia. The glassware
        is dated later in North America and there is a well known time lag in
        the availability of goods here compared to Europe. If you compare
        the bottle shapes to those found in the Museum of London catalogue,
        you will see that they are very, very similar.
        http://www.eparks.com/store/search.asp?keyword=Repro1Bottles

        In service to our Dream of the past,
        Jehanne
      • Michael Hurley
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
          At 7:10 PM +0000 on 6/20/08, julian wilson wrote:

          >Good Gentles of the List,
          >as part of the continuing attempt to improve our encampment and our
          >feast ware/gear - we are seeking any glass manufacturer that offers
          >replicas of medieval bottle designs.
          >To get rid of the modern bottle shapes on our feast tables we intend
          >to decant from modern bottles into some of "period" design.
          >We "do" late 15th early 16th Century Western Europe in our
          >Household, when a noble household would have bought wine by the
          >cask, and the "Boutellier" would have decanted some into bottles
          >belonging to the House, [part of the "re-useable Feastware"]
          >whenever the Seigneur was entertaining high-status guests.

          Try The Northerner. ( http://www.northerner.com/ ) In their
          Historical Collection they have reproduction medieval drinking
          vessels and bottles. You may find something you like there.

          Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
          ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

          >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
          >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
          >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
          >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
          >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
          >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
          >idea if they are still produced anywhere! {I have posted this latter
          >question on the Food & Feasts List - but their attention seems to be
          >completely absorbed by the BoD's proposals concerning waterbearers,
          >to the exclusion of all else.]

          'Fraid I can't help you on this one, really. I don't drink. I do
          know, however, that there are modern clarets. I have no idea how
          close they are to medieval and early renaissance claret, though.
          Rhenish and Malmsey are not terms I've seen before (I suppose I
          should note that mundanely I work for a printing company and have
          typed many a restaurant's wine menu for printing) but they may be
          terms that have shifted to different modern words.
          --
          Auf wiedersehen!
          Michael

          "..No."

          -Real Genius
        • Michael Hurley
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
            At 7:10 PM +0000 on 6/20/08, julian wilson wrote:

            >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
            >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
            >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
            >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
            >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
            >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
            >idea if they are still produced anywhere! {I have posted this latter
            >question on the Food & Feasts List - but their attention seems to be
            >completely absorbed by the BoD's proposals concerning waterbearers,
            >to the exclusion of all else.]

            Just for fun, I tried looking all three up in Wikipedia and Google.
            I'm not sure how accurate any of this is, but it's a start.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesling <-- Rhenish? (Not sure on this one)
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvasia <-- Malmsey
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret <-- Claret
            --
            Auf wiedersehen!
            Michael

            "..No."

            -Real Genius
          • Cynthia J Ley
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
              On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 05:48:51 -0000 "Joan Mielke Yost"
              <joan.mielke.yost@...> writes:
              > Finding good glassware and ceramics is an obsession of mine because
              > in
              > a former incarnation I was an historical archaeologist. To my
              > knowledge, wine was served at table from jugs, not bottles. Glass
              > bottles did not come into wider use until the late 16th century, but
              >
              > the earliest ones were 10-12" around, squat and globular with a
              > relatively short neck. They were handblown and made of very thick
              > (1/2"+)dark green glass. They had a rough pontil scar on the
              > bottom,
              > but unlike later bottles, they did not have a "push up" or "kick
              > up."
              >
              > This link has two pictures of stoneware bottles, as well as a green
              > globular bottle. http://www.earlyglass.com/
              >
              > The Museum of London has a wonderful pictoral catalogue. There are
              > only a few medieval glass items, but take a look at the 17th and
              > 18th
              > century page for lots of bottle designs. While the bottles are
              > dated,
              > at earliest, 1601, the forms go back further.
              > http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/glass.asp
              >
              > Jehanne

              Sweepstakes!!!
              Enter for your chance to WIN one of hundreds of daily prizes.
              http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7Unnf2q7Dt2f9HdDUVAHtpxmok3t903fgkRPFTLONLWZKfX/
            • i_odlin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
                > Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
                > ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

                Has anyone in the US bought from these folks before? They have some
                magnificent items on offer, but I'm curious about how well cross-world
                purchasing works with these folks.

                Not to mention how good their stuff really is.

                Thank you.
                -Iain of Malagentia
              • Tiffany Brown
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                  2008/6/21 julian wilson <smnco37@...>:
                  > If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the same categories of wines as were imported into England between say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*, malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table,

                  Buller wines in Rutherglen, Victoria, Australia produces a malmsey. It
                  is a very pleasant amber coloured fortified wine, reminiscent of a
                  tokay. I have no idea how similar it is to European Malmseys, let
                  alone period ones, but shiraz grown in the same region (due to the
                  soil and climate) is known to be very full bodied and strong, even for
                  an Australian shiraz (which themselves are known for their vigor).

                  The winery's website is here:
                  http://www.buller.com.au/index.html
                  and a page about the malmsey is here:
                  http://www.buller.com.au/source/pdf_wine_web/FO_Malmsey-web.pdf

                  I have no idea if they will ship small quantities overseas, or if they
                  have any european distributors, but they are a medium sized winery,
                  not a small boutique (they sell in national liquor chains in
                  australia) and their website has a special section for international
                  orders which encourages enquiries.

                  Of course, I'd find it very strange if someone in Europe wasn't still
                  producing these wines, but they may not be as internet enabled or
                  export orientated as Australian wineries..

                  good luck, and I would appreciate hearing anything further you find
                  out about how various wines available today compare to their medieval
                  and renaisance counterparts,

                  Teffania

                  --
                  . ___
                  {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
                  |)__) is definitely not at
                  -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com
                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                    At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:

                    >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                    >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
                    >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
                    >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
                    >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
                    >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
                    >idea if they are still produced anywhere!

                    I do not know of wines available quite that old. Though I have seen
                    claret for sale, I have no idea how it compares to 15th-16th century
                    types of that name. The oldest wines that I have personally seen were
                    some 150 or so years old Madeiras. There are also some quite good
                    blends (incorporating actual antique stock) reproducing types of
                    Madeira from the early 18th-19th century that are surprisingly
                    reasonable in price (partnership between a bottler in New York and
                    producer on Madeira). Madeira was popular early because it travels
                    and keeps well. The Island was re-discovered and settled in the
                    early 15th C. but wine production and export became important in the
                    17th C and this may make it too late for your purposes.

                    Beth Matney
                  • Robert Van Rens
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                      I've purchased from Medieval Design before...my experiences with thier dress accessories, etc. have been very good. Custome contact can be tricky, due to the time difference, but I very much like the items I have purchased from them.

                      Eadric the Potter Rob Van Rens www.ironwoodpottery.com
                    • lorddonal
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post over previous messages and that you delete any text from previous messages that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                        Message order edited:
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
                        <bmatney@...> wrote:

                        > At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:
                        >
                        > >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                        > >same categories of wines as were imported into England between
                        > >say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that
                        > >info along to us?

                        Rhenish wine was a clear white wine that is produced from the Rhine
                        Valley.

                        Malmsey was a strong, sweet white wine from Greece, originally from
                        Monemvasia in the Peloponnese.

                        Claret was a light red wine from Bordeaux.

                        Donal O'Brien
                      • digital.princess
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                          Greetings!