Re: replica SCA-period bottles & wines

  • balanttina
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
      hello good sir!

      this czech site has a huge array of glass replicas from all kinds of
      periods, including middle ages and renaissance:
      http://www.hanaglass.cz/html/aj1.htm.

      I doj't know about english wines, but in slovenia we still grow the
      same varieties that were drunk at least in the 15th century:
      malvazija, rebula.

      lp, celestina
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
        Celestina,

        Do you know of a reliable bookstore in the eastern Europe (esp Czech
        Republic) that ships to the USA?

        Thanks,
        Beth Matney
      • Joan Mielke Yost
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
          Finding good glassware and ceramics is an obsession of mine because in
          a former incarnation I was an historical archaeologist. To my
          knowledge, wine was served at table from jugs, not bottles. Glass
          bottles did not come into wider use until the late 16th century, but
          the earliest ones were 10-12" around, squat and globular with a
          relatively short neck. They were handblown and made of very thick
          (1/2"+)dark green glass. They had a rough pontil scar on the bottom,
          but unlike later bottles, they did not have a "push up" or "kick up."

          This link has two pictures of stoneware bottles, as well as a green
          globular bottle. http://www.earlyglass.com/

          The Museum of London has a wonderful pictoral catalogue. There are
          only a few medieval glass items, but take a look at the 17th and 18th
          century page for lots of bottle designs. While the bottles are dated,
          at earliest, 1601, the forms go back further.
          http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/glass.asp

          Jehanne
        • Joan Mielke Yost
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 21, 2008
            Greetings to the good gentles of the list!

            If one is interested in purchasing reproduction bottles, stoneware or
            dining items, I have found the following sites to be useful.

            I am passionate about quality replicas and these are the best I have
            found, so far, in the United States. There are other good sources in
            Europe, as well.

            The reproductions on this site are good to excellent.
            http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=128

            Although primarily known for patterns, this site has excellent
            reproductions.
            http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/props.php?s=&c=177&q=1

            Replica glassware is also made in Jamestown, Virginia. The glassware
            is dated later in North America and there is a well known time lag in
            the availability of goods here compared to Europe. If you compare
            the bottle shapes to those found in the Museum of London catalogue,
            you will see that they are very, very similar.
            http://www.eparks.com/store/search.asp?keyword=Repro1Bottles

            In service to our Dream of the past,
            Jehanne
          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
              On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:10 AM, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:
              > Good Gentles of the List,
              > as part of the continuing attempt to improve our encampment and our feast
              > ware/gear - we are seeking any glass manufacturer that offers replicas of
              > medieval bottle designs.
              > To get rid of the modern bottle shapes on our feast tables we intend to
              > decant from modern bottles into some of "period" design.
              > We "do" late 15th early 16th Century Western Europe in our Household, when a
              > noble household would have bought wine by the cask, and the "Boutellier"
              > would have decanted some into bottles belonging to the House, [part of the
              > "re-useable Feastware"] whenever the Seigneur was entertaining high-status
              > guests.

              Are you dead-set on glass?

              Eadric the Potter (http://www.ironwoodpottery.com/) does some
              excellent recreations, and can probably outfit an entire table. If he
              doesn't have what you want, contact him and he could probably make it,
              especially if you have a picture of what you want. We have several
              pieces from him and I have been amazed at the work every time, and
              never disappointed with the price.

              -E.
            • Michael Hurley
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
                At 7:10 PM +0000 on 6/20/08, julian wilson wrote:

                >Good Gentles of the List,
                >as part of the continuing attempt to improve our encampment and our
                >feast ware/gear - we are seeking any glass manufacturer that offers
                >replicas of medieval bottle designs.
                >To get rid of the modern bottle shapes on our feast tables we intend
                >to decant from modern bottles into some of "period" design.
                >We "do" late 15th early 16th Century Western Europe in our
                >Household, when a noble household would have bought wine by the
                >cask, and the "Boutellier" would have decanted some into bottles
                >belonging to the House, [part of the "re-useable Feastware"]
                >whenever the Seigneur was entertaining high-status guests.

                Try The Northerner. ( http://www.northerner.com/ ) In their
                Historical Collection they have reproduction medieval drinking
                vessels and bottles. You may find something you like there.

                Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
                ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

                >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
                >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
                >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
                >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
                >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
                >idea if they are still produced anywhere! {I have posted this latter
                >question on the Food & Feasts List - but their attention seems to be
                >completely absorbed by the BoD's proposals concerning waterbearers,
                >to the exclusion of all else.]

                'Fraid I can't help you on this one, really. I don't drink. I do
                know, however, that there are modern clarets. I have no idea how
                close they are to medieval and early renaissance claret, though.
                Rhenish and Malmsey are not terms I've seen before (I suppose I
                should note that mundanely I work for a printing company and have
                typed many a restaurant's wine menu for printing) but they may be
                terms that have shifted to different modern words.
                --
                Auf wiedersehen!
                Michael

                "..No."

                -Real Genius
              • Michael Hurley
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
                  At 7:10 PM +0000 on 6/20/08, julian wilson wrote:

                  >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                  >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
                  >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
                  >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
                  >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
                  >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
                  >idea if they are still produced anywhere! {I have posted this latter
                  >question on the Food & Feasts List - but their attention seems to be
                  >completely absorbed by the BoD's proposals concerning waterbearers,
                  >to the exclusion of all else.]

                  Just for fun, I tried looking all three up in Wikipedia and Google.
                  I'm not sure how accurate any of this is, but it's a start.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesling <-- Rhenish? (Not sure on this one)
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvasia <-- Malmsey
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claret <-- Claret
                  --
                  Auf wiedersehen!
                  Michael

                  "..No."

                  -Real Genius
                • Cynthia J Ley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 22, 2008
                    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 05:48:51 -0000 "Joan Mielke Yost"
                    <joan.mielke.yost@...> writes:
                    > Finding good glassware and ceramics is an obsession of mine because
                    > in
                    > a former incarnation I was an historical archaeologist. To my
                    > knowledge, wine was served at table from jugs, not bottles. Glass
                    > bottles did not come into wider use until the late 16th century, but
                    >
                    > the earliest ones were 10-12" around, squat and globular with a
                    > relatively short neck. They were handblown and made of very thick
                    > (1/2"+)dark green glass. They had a rough pontil scar on the
                    > bottom,
                    > but unlike later bottles, they did not have a "push up" or "kick
                    > up."
                    >
                    > This link has two pictures of stoneware bottles, as well as a green
                    > globular bottle. http://www.earlyglass.com/
                    >
                    > The Museum of London has a wonderful pictoral catalogue. There are
                    > only a few medieval glass items, but take a look at the 17th and
                    > 18th
                    > century page for lots of bottle designs. While the bottles are
                    > dated,
                    > at earliest, 1601, the forms go back further.
                    > http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/ceramics/pages/glass.asp
                    >
                    > Jehanne

                    Sweepstakes!!!
                    Enter for your chance to WIN one of hundreds of daily prizes.
                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7Unnf2q7Dt2f9HdDUVAHtpxmok3t903fgkRPFTLONLWZKfX/
                  • i_odlin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hurley <mephit@...> wrote:
                      > Also, Medieval Design ( http://www.medievaldesign.com/indexengl.html
                      > ) sells some bottles in their glass section.

                      Has anyone in the US bought from these folks before? They have some
                      magnificent items on offer, but I'm curious about how well cross-world
                      purchasing works with these folks.

                      Not to mention how good their stuff really is.

                      Thank you.
                      -Iain of Malagentia
                    • Tiffany Brown
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                        2008/6/21 julian wilson <smnco37@...>:
                        > If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the same categories of wines as were imported into England between say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*, malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table,

                        Buller wines in Rutherglen, Victoria, Australia produces a malmsey. It
                        is a very pleasant amber coloured fortified wine, reminiscent of a
                        tokay. I have no idea how similar it is to European Malmseys, let
                        alone period ones, but shiraz grown in the same region (due to the
                        soil and climate) is known to be very full bodied and strong, even for
                        an Australian shiraz (which themselves are known for their vigor).

                        The winery's website is here:
                        http://www.buller.com.au/index.html
                        and a page about the malmsey is here:
                        http://www.buller.com.au/source/pdf_wine_web/FO_Malmsey-web.pdf

                        I have no idea if they will ship small quantities overseas, or if they
                        have any european distributors, but they are a medium sized winery,
                        not a small boutique (they sell in national liquor chains in
                        australia) and their website has a special section for international
                        orders which encourages enquiries.

                        Of course, I'd find it very strange if someone in Europe wasn't still
                        producing these wines, but they may not be as internet enabled or
                        export orientated as Australian wineries..

                        good luck, and I would appreciate hearing anything further you find
                        out about how various wines available today compare to their medieval
                        and renaisance counterparts,

                        Teffania

                        --
                        . ___
                        {o,o} The blog you are not looking for
                        |)__) is definitely not at
                        -"-"- http://teffania.blogspot.com
                      • Beth and Bob Matney
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                          At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:

                          >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                          >same categories of wines as were imported into England between say
                          >1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that info
                          >along to us? It would be so cool to serve something like Rhenish*,
                          >malmsey*, and claret* at our feast table, to complement redacted
                          >medieval "dishes". Wikipedia says what they* are without giving any
                          >idea if they are still produced anywhere!

                          I do not know of wines available quite that old. Though I have seen
                          claret for sale, I have no idea how it compares to 15th-16th century
                          types of that name. The oldest wines that I have personally seen were
                          some 150 or so years old Madeiras. There are also some quite good
                          blends (incorporating actual antique stock) reproducing types of
                          Madeira from the early 18th-19th century that are surprisingly
                          reasonable in price (partnership between a bottler in New York and
                          producer on Madeira). Madeira was popular early because it travels
                          and keeps well. The Island was re-discovered and settled in the
                          early 15th C. but wine production and export became important in the
                          17th C and this may make it too late for your purposes.

                          Beth Matney
                        • Robert Van Rens
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 23, 2008
                            I've purchased from Medieval Design before...my experiences with thier dress accessories, etc. have been very good. Custome contact can be tricky, due to the time difference, but I very much like the items I have purchased from them.

                            Eadric the Potter Rob Van Rens www.ironwoodpottery.com
                          • lorddonal
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                              MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top-post over previous messages and that you delete any text from previous messages that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                              Message order edited:
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
                              <bmatney@...> wrote:

                              > At 02:10 PM 6/20/2008, Matthew Baker wrote:
                              >
                              > >If anyone knows of modern vineyards which are still producing the
                              > >same categories of wines as were imported into England between
                              > >say 1450AD and 1509AD, - would you be good enough to pass that
                              > >info along to us?

                              Rhenish wine was a clear white wine that is produced from the Rhine
                              Valley.

                              Malmsey was a strong, sweet white wine from Greece, originally from
                              Monemvasia in the Peloponnese.

                              Claret was a light red wine from Bordeaux.

                              Donal O'Brien
                            • digital.princess
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 24, 2008
                                Greetings!