A knife shaped like a bow and arrows

  • Antonio Morejon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2008
      I've posted a photo of this unusual knife on a new album of this group
      TonyMore
    • Bookwyrm
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2008
        2008/5/27 Antonio Morejon <asmorejonms@...>:
        > I've posted a photo of this unusual knife on a new album of this group

        Great. Be sure to post the documentation as well; it would be
        interesting if such a knife were authentic for the SCA's period.

        --
        Bookwyrm and Empath
        Ontario, Canada
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2008
          Tony,
          Weren't you trying to show us the ebay listing on this knife in April?

          And if the knife on ebay truly was 'one of a kind,' is there a reason
          you're putting it in the files, if you've already sold the knife to
          someone else?

          There is a medieval knife that has a handle carved into an archer,
          http://www.insecula.com/oeuvre/O0007826.html
          maybe that would be a more authentic choice for someone to make or sell?

          I will admit I'm not an expert on knives, but the sheath also may not
          be the most accurate choice, as the only metal sheath-decoration I can
          think of off the top of my head is the bronze fittings from Viking-age
          Northern Europe. This 16th century sheath is made of wood with a metal
          ring around the mouth, but I'm having difficulty finding one decorated
          with a metal tip, such as the photo you uploaded.
          See: http://www.flg.es/ficha.asp?ID=308

          There are more accurate designs that could be used to create a
          medieval knife sheath that would appeal to archers, than the example
          you have given. I hope the above links are inspirational.

          Regards,
          ~Asfridhr
        • Antonio Morejon
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2008
            MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our other members, be sure to sign your posts. Please do not top post and please snip any portion of the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            Just for show
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2008
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio Morejon"
              <asmorejonms@...> wrote:

              > I've posted a photo of this unusual knife on a new album of this group
              > TonyMore

              Dear Tony,

              As moderator and list owner of Authentic_SCA, I'd like to say hello
              and welcome.

              I would also point out that the focus of this list is the pursuit of
              authenticity in the Society for Creative Anachronism. Our membership
              is far more likely to be interested in actual historical
              artifacts/attempts to reproduce said artifacts from periods and
              cultures encompassed by the SCA than in items which do not appear to
              have any historical basis.

              If you are unclear on the expectations of our group, I invite you to
              check out
              http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/oJ09SPrI4uzSwSWjrEXx5lNAJ_mweFXahz5sdjcWSwsc2IrsnLoa7A8W8R5XsVUQoz5xIlWwYPwIvEGbAVc9/List%20Etiquette%20and%20Expectations

              (You may have to cut and paste the link to get it to work.) You can
              also find it by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Authentic_SCA/
              clicking on "Files" in the menu at the left, then selecting "List
              Ettiquette and Expectations."

              Thank you.

              Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom
              Authentic_SCA