Re: sleeping bags

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hello!
      > >
      > > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
      > >
      > > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte
      George
      > > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they
      were
      > > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
      > > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
      > > year! thanks!
      >
      > Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
      > try contacting the Company directly via their website?
      > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html
      >
      > Jehanne de Wodeford
      > West Kingdom

      I'd second Jehanne's suggestion: ask The Companie of St. George.
      At their site, if you enter and scroll down the left hand side bar to
      "Documents," and click on "Costume," you'll get a page titled,
      "Clothing and Equipment [etc]" which, half-way or a bit more down that
      page, tells you that included among those items required in your
      'kit,' are:

      Bedding

      Blankets, sheets and a canvas bag big enough to act as a sleeping bag
      or to fill with straw as a mattress. They can all be rolled up in the
      canvas bag for travelling.

      I know this doesn't answer questions of historical accuracy, but it
      does seem period-plausible.
      It strikes me that "sleeping bag" might be just what's stated there, a
      bag used in either of two ways for sleeping: something you could wrap
      yourself up in, using it as bed linen; or, something you stuff to use
      as a mattress.
      I don't have sources to hand for quoting, but I'm fairly sure of
      straw-stuffed mattresses in period.

      Yseult the Gentle