Re: [Authentic_SCA] A bit off topic: Ireland trip

  • Grainne ingen Lugdach
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008
      --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

      > We will be in Ireland for 2 weeks in September,
      > flying in and out of
      > Dublin. I would appreciate any suggestions...
      >
      > We are currently planning on visiting
      > National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology and History
      > National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts and
      > History
      > National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
      > Trinity College Library College Street

      Beth, I just returned from Ireland on May 7th. :-) All
      of the places you mentioned are more than worthwhile.
      Sadly, though, the Sea Stallion of Glendalough (the
      Viking replica ship that sailed from Denmark to
      Ireland), will have left the Decorative Arts and
      History museum by that time. The National Museum of
      Archaelogy and History blew my mind. Being able to
      finally see things like the Tara brooch, the Ardagh
      Chalice, the Cross of Cong...the Shinrone gown, for
      crying out loud! My niece/traveling companion was
      thoroughly disgusted with me by the time we walked out
      of there. Apparently it ain't pretty watching a large
      46 year-old woman drool and coo over an old woollen
      dress and shiny Viking-era beads. :-)

      In Dublin, also consider Christchurch Cathedral (and
      depending on your tolerance for kitsch, the attached
      "Dublinia and the Viking World" attraction; there *is*
      information on Viking and medieval Dublin there,
      though) and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

      Near Dublin, I *highly* recommend the Bru na Boinne
      visitors' center in Co. Meath. From there you can take
      tours at Newgrange and/or Knowth passage tombs. Both
      pre-date Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids, and
      they've found evidence that the area directly around
      Knowth was inhabited through the 17th century.

      Depending on exactly where you're traveling, there are
      wonderful castle and religious ruins all over the
      island. If you tell me more about the areas you're
      visiting, I can give you more detail.

      And of course, if this is off-topic, folks can contact
      me off-list. :-) Ireland is one of my favorite topics,
      and I'll be happy to offer what advice I can!

      Slan,
      Grainne ingen Lugdach (mka Willie Walter)
      Shire of Roxbury Mill
      Atlantia
    • jubileel_insaneone
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2008
        Hi Beth!
        If you have access to a rental car while you are there, I'd go to
        Bunratty. It's over near Shannon. Bunratty is a 11th c (I think?)
        castle with a 19th c folklife park right behind it. They do have a
        "medieval" dinner theater at Bunratty which was pretty entertaining.

        I'd also take a stop by the Aran Islands, which have some very nice
        sweaters. They also have a ton of truly ancient ruins and a few ruins
        of early medieval churches.

        Galway really "felt" like an Irish city. Dublin has more of your
        generic international feel. (At least to me.) I did like Dublin and
        there is plenty to see there but Galway just had a very different feel
        to it.

        -Isabella