A bit off topic: Ireland trip

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 6:21 AM
      I don't normally post off topic like this, but since what we wish to
      see are things that would be on topic, I will make an exception. If
      the moderators feel that this is inappropriate, please delete.
      Replies off-list are welcome.

      We will be in Ireland for 2 weeks in September, flying in and out of
      Dublin. I would appreciate any suggestions...

      We are currently planning on visiting
      National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology and History
      National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts and History
      National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
      Trinity College Library College Street

      Thanks,
      Beth
    • Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16 8:36 AM
        --- Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > We will be in Ireland for 2 weeks in September,
        > flying in and out of
        > Dublin. I would appreciate any suggestions...
        >
        > We are currently planning on visiting
        > National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology and History
        > National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts and
        > History
        > National Museum of Ireland - Country Life
        > Trinity College Library College Street

        Beth, I just returned from Ireland on May 7th. :-) All
        of the places you mentioned are more than worthwhile.
        Sadly, though, the Sea Stallion of Glendalough (the
        Viking replica ship that sailed from Denmark to
        Ireland), will have left the Decorative Arts and
        History museum by that time. The National Museum of
        Archaelogy and History blew my mind. Being able to
        finally see things like the Tara brooch, the Ardagh
        Chalice, the Cross of Cong...the Shinrone gown, for
        crying out loud! My niece/traveling companion was
        thoroughly disgusted with me by the time we walked out
        of there. Apparently it ain't pretty watching a large
        46 year-old woman drool and coo over an old woollen
        dress and shiny Viking-era beads. :-)

        In Dublin, also consider Christchurch Cathedral (and
        depending on your tolerance for kitsch, the attached
        "Dublinia and the Viking World" attraction; there *is*
        information on Viking and medieval Dublin there,
        though) and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

        Near Dublin, I *highly* recommend the Bru na Boinne
        visitors' center in Co. Meath. From there you can take
        tours at Newgrange and/or Knowth passage tombs. Both
        pre-date Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids, and
        they've found evidence that the area directly around
        Knowth was inhabited through the 17th century.

        Depending on exactly where you're traveling, there are
        wonderful castle and religious ruins all over the
        island. If you tell me more about the areas you're
        visiting, I can give you more detail.

        And of course, if this is off-topic, folks can contact
        me off-list. :-) Ireland is one of my favorite topics,
        and I'll be happy to offer what advice I can!

        Slan,
        Grainne ingen Lugdach (mka Willie Walter)
        Shire of Roxbury Mill
        Atlantia
      • jubileel_insaneone
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17 5:11 AM
          Hi Beth!
          If you have access to a rental car while you are there, I'd go to
          Bunratty. It's over near Shannon. Bunratty is a 11th c (I think?)
          castle with a 19th c folklife park right behind it. They do have a
          "medieval" dinner theater at Bunratty which was pretty entertaining.

          I'd also take a stop by the Aran Islands, which have some very nice
          sweaters. They also have a ton of truly ancient ruins and a few ruins
          of early medieval churches.

          Galway really "felt" like an Irish city. Dublin has more of your
          generic international feel. (At least to me.) I did like Dublin and
          there is plenty to see there but Galway just had a very different feel
          to it.

          -Isabella