Re: sleeping bags

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@...> wrote:

      > hello!
      >
      > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
      >
      > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte George
      > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they were
      > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
      > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
      > year! thanks!

      Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
      try contacting the Company directly via their website?
      http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West Kingdom
    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hello!
        > >
        > > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
        > >
        > > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte
        George
        > > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they
        were
        > > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
        > > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
        > > year! thanks!
        >
        > Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
        > try contacting the Company directly via their website?
        > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html
        >
        > Jehanne de Wodeford
        > West Kingdom

        I'd second Jehanne's suggestion: ask The Companie of St. George.
        At their site, if you enter and scroll down the left hand side bar to
        "Documents," and click on "Costume," you'll get a page titled,
        "Clothing and Equipment [etc]" which, half-way or a bit more down that
        page, tells you that included among those items required in your
        'kit,' are:

        Bedding

        Blankets, sheets and a canvas bag big enough to act as a sleeping bag
        or to fill with straw as a mattress. They can all be rolled up in the
        canvas bag for travelling.

        I know this doesn't answer questions of historical accuracy, but it
        does seem period-plausible.
        It strikes me that "sleeping bag" might be just what's stated there, a
        bag used in either of two ways for sleeping: something you could wrap
        yourself up in, using it as bed linen; or, something you stuff to use
        as a mattress.
        I don't have sources to hand for quoting, but I'm fairly sure of
        straw-stuffed mattresses in period.

        Yseult the Gentle