sleeping bags

  • balanttina
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 1:37 PM
      hello!

      me again and my tricky questions! :o)

      I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte George
      uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they were
      (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
      or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
      year! thanks!

      lp, celestina
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14 3:26 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@...> wrote:

        > hello!
        >
        > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
        >
        > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte George
        > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they were
        > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
        > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
        > year! thanks!

        Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
        try contacting the Company directly via their website?
        http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West Kingdom
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18 5:24 AM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hello!
          > >
          > > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
          > >
          > > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte
          George
          > > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they
          were
          > > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
          > > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
          > > year! thanks!
          >
          > Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
          > try contacting the Company directly via their website?
          > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html
          >
          > Jehanne de Wodeford
          > West Kingdom

          I'd second Jehanne's suggestion: ask The Companie of St. George.
          At their site, if you enter and scroll down the left hand side bar to
          "Documents," and click on "Costume," you'll get a page titled,
          "Clothing and Equipment [etc]" which, half-way or a bit more down that
          page, tells you that included among those items required in your
          'kit,' are:

          Bedding

          Blankets, sheets and a canvas bag big enough to act as a sleeping bag
          or to fill with straw as a mattress. They can all be rolled up in the
          canvas bag for travelling.

          I know this doesn't answer questions of historical accuracy, but it
          does seem period-plausible.
          It strikes me that "sleeping bag" might be just what's stated there, a
          bag used in either of two ways for sleeping: something you could wrap
          yourself up in, using it as bed linen; or, something you stuff to use
          as a mattress.
          I don't have sources to hand for quoting, but I'm fairly sure of
          straw-stuffed mattresses in period.

          Yseult the Gentle