call for teachers!!

  • Shane Stainton
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2008
      Wars of Roses Arts and Science Symposium
      (War of the Roses is held in the Barony of Concordia of the Snows in
      the kingdom of the East on Memorial Day weekend)
      Im looking for more instructors for our A&S Symposium!

      We hope to make this the best Roses ever with lots and lots of
      classes! All types of classes are welcome from down and dirty bloomery
      and forging to the finest blackwork.You may schedule for a two day
      class if two days are required. There will be shelter and refreshments
      provided, please state other needs such as electricity table space etc.

      Those willing and able to bring additional flys and pavilions for
      additional class space are encouraged to do so. Hearty hands and stout
      backs will be there to help unload, set up, break down and pack.

      Please contact Lord Fergal OFF LIST knives@...
      with day and time slots preferred (sat and sun available for classes)
      and a description of your class along with materials fees etc
    • balanttina
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2008
        hello!

        me again and my tricky questions! :o)

        I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte George
        uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they were
        (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
        or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
        year! thanks!

        lp, celestina
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@...> wrote:

          > hello!
          >
          > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
          >
          > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte George
          > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they were
          > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
          > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
          > year! thanks!

          Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
          try contacting the Company directly via their website?
          http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@...> wrote:

            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "balanttina" <balanttina@> wrote:
            > >
            > > hello!
            > >
            > > me again and my tricky questions! :o)
            > >
            > > I heard about sleeping bags made of linen that Company of Synte
            George
            > > uses on their campaigns. but I don't know anything about how they
            were
            > > (are) made, are they really period, are there any sources, pictorial
            > > or textorial? help much appreciated because we will be camping thes
            > > year! thanks!
            >
            > Given the silence, I suspect nobody here has a ready answer. Why not
            > try contacting the Company directly via their website?
            > http://www.companie-of-st-george.ch/cms/intro.html
            >
            > Jehanne de Wodeford
            > West Kingdom

            I'd second Jehanne's suggestion: ask The Companie of St. George.
            At their site, if you enter and scroll down the left hand side bar to
            "Documents," and click on "Costume," you'll get a page titled,
            "Clothing and Equipment [etc]" which, half-way or a bit more down that
            page, tells you that included among those items required in your
            'kit,' are:

            Bedding

            Blankets, sheets and a canvas bag big enough to act as a sleeping bag
            or to fill with straw as a mattress. They can all be rolled up in the
            canvas bag for travelling.

            I know this doesn't answer questions of historical accuracy, but it
            does seem period-plausible.
            It strikes me that "sleeping bag" might be just what's stated there, a
            bag used in either of two ways for sleeping: something you could wrap
            yourself up in, using it as bed linen; or, something you stuff to use
            as a mattress.
            I don't have sources to hand for quoting, but I'm fairly sure of
            straw-stuffed mattresses in period.

            Yseult the Gentle