Re: Woodcuts

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 6:23 PM
      No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
      beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
      Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
      style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
      vibrant.

      Donata
    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3 2:59 AM
        > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
        > special papers?
        >
        > Smiles,
        > Despina de la just curious

        Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
        else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
        is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
        knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
        :)
        Nawojka
      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3 3:14 AM
          Nawojka wrote:

          >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
          >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
          >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
          >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
          >:)

          Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
          in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
          will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
          easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
          that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
          share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
          why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

          --Kareina