Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Woodcuts

  • Kevin Myers
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 9:33 AM
      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
      >the SCA anyway.

      That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

      See:
      http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
      and
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

      Tiriodh!

      -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

      'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
      -Tis the day's work, getting started.

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 10:06 AM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
        > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
        woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
        too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
        influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
        I'm wrong on that bit).

        Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
        that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
        handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
        wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
        until the Edo period. Go figure.

        Saionji no Hanae
        West Kingdom
      • Dawn Malmstrom
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 6:23 PM
          No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
          beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
          Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
          style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
          vibrant.

          Donata
        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3 2:59 AM
            > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
            > special papers?
            >
            > Smiles,
            > Despina de la just curious

            Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
            else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
            is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
            knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
            :)
            Nawojka
          • Kareina Talvi Tytär
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3 3:14 AM
              Nawojka wrote:

              >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
              >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
              >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
              >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
              >:)

              Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
              in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
              will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
              easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
              that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
              share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
              why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

              --Kareina