Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Woodcuts

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2008
      yuppers.... sometimes one word is definitely the difference. I hope
      that the link and the word change have helped in your search?

      For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
      special papers?

      Smiles,
      Despina de la just curious
    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2008
        wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
        >the SCA anyway.

        That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

        See:
        http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
        and
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

        Tiriodh!

        -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

        'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
        -Tis the day's work, getting started.

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
          > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
          woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
          too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
          influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
          I'm wrong on that bit).

          Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
          that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
          handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
          wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
          until the Edo period. Go figure.

          Saionji no Hanae
          West Kingdom
        • Dawn Malmstrom
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
            beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
            Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
            style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
            vibrant.

            Donata
          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2008
              > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
              > special papers?
              >
              > Smiles,
              > Despina de la just curious

              Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
              else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
              is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
              knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
              :)
              Nawojka
            • Kareina Talvi Tytär
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                Nawojka wrote:

                >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                >:)

                Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
                in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
                will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
                easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
                that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
                share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
                why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

                --Kareina