Re: Woodcuts

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
      wrote:

      > The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
      > one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
      > question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
      > style woodcuts.

      AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
      the SCA anyway.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom
    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2008
        > I typed "how to woodcut" into google there were 359,000 hits on

        Ah... I think I typed "making medieval woodcuts." It's all in the
        wording isn't it? Thanks for that.
        :)
        Nawojka
      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2008
          yuppers.... sometimes one word is definitely the difference. I hope
          that the link and the word change have helped in your search?

          For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
          special papers?

          Smiles,
          Despina de la just curious
        • Kevin Myers
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

            >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
            >the SCA anyway.

            That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

            See:
            http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
            and
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

            Tiriodh!

            -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

            'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
            -Tis the day's work, getting started.

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2008
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
              > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
              woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
              too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
              influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
              I'm wrong on that bit).

              Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
              that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
              handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
              wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
              until the Edo period. Go figure.

              Saionji no Hanae
              West Kingdom
            • Dawn Malmstrom
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
                beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
                Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
                style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
                vibrant.

                Donata
              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                  > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                  > special papers?
                  >
                  > Smiles,
                  > Despina de la just curious

                  Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                  else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                  is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                  knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                  :)
                  Nawojka
                • Kareina Talvi Tytär
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                    Nawojka wrote:

                    >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                    >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                    >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                    >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                    >:)

                    Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
                    in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
                    will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
                    easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
                    that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
                    share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
                    why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

                    --Kareina