Re: Woodcuts

  • Dawn Malmstrom
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Which style of woodcuts are you interested in? Western woodcut
      tradition is very different from Eastern (Japanese).

      Donata Bonacorsi
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2008
        The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
        one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
        question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
        style woodcuts.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la didn't think of that
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
          wrote:

          > The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
          > one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
          > question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
          > style woodcuts.

          AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
          the SCA anyway.

          Saionji no Hanae
          West Kingdom
        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            > I typed "how to woodcut" into google there were 359,000 hits on

            Ah... I think I typed "making medieval woodcuts." It's all in the
            wording isn't it? Thanks for that.
            :)
            Nawojka
          • Amy Heilveil
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2008
              yuppers.... sometimes one word is definitely the difference. I hope
              that the link and the word change have helped in your search?

              For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
              special papers?

              Smiles,
              Despina de la just curious
            • Kevin Myers
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

                >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
                >the SCA anyway.

                That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

                See:
                http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
                and
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

                Tiriodh!

                -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

                'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
                -Tis the day's work, getting started.

              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
                  > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
                  woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
                  too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
                  influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
                  I'm wrong on that bit).

                  Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
                  that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
                  handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
                  wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
                  until the Edo period. Go figure.

                  Saionji no Hanae
                  West Kingdom
                • Dawn Malmstrom
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                    No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
                    beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
                    Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
                    style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
                    vibrant.

                    Donata
                  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                      > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                      > special papers?
                      >
                      > Smiles,
                      > Despina de la just curious

                      Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                      else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                      is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                      knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                      :)
                      Nawojka
                    • Kareina Talvi Tytär
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                        Nawojka wrote:

                        >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                        >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                        >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                        >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                        >:)

                        Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
                        in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
                        will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
                        easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
                        that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
                        share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
                        why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

                        --Kareina