Re: [Authentic_SCA] Woodcuts

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Hi Nawojka,

      I typed "how to woodcut" into google and this is the first website that came up:
      http://ubatuberproductions.blogspot.com/2006/05/woodcut-how-to.html

      There were 359,000 hits on google, so I think that there is
      instruction on the web easily available, if that's where you want your
      instruction.

      You could also check out youtube and see if someone has put a video up there.

      Smiles,
      Despina de la lots of possibilities
    • Dawn Malmstrom
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008
        Which style of woodcuts are you interested in? Western woodcut
        tradition is very different from Eastern (Japanese).

        Donata Bonacorsi
      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2008
          The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
          one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
          question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
          style woodcuts.

          Smiles,
          Despina de la didn't think of that
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
            wrote:

            > The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
            > one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
            > question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
            > style woodcuts.

            AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
            the SCA anyway.

            Saionji no Hanae
            West Kingdom
          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2008
              > I typed "how to woodcut" into google there were 359,000 hits on

              Ah... I think I typed "making medieval woodcuts." It's all in the
              wording isn't it? Thanks for that.
              :)
              Nawojka
            • Amy Heilveil
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                yuppers.... sometimes one word is definitely the difference. I hope
                that the link and the word change have helped in your search?

                For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                special papers?

                Smiles,
                Despina de la just curious
              • Kevin Myers
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                  wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

                  >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
                  >the SCA anyway.

                  That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

                  See:
                  http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
                  and
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

                  Tiriodh!

                  -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

                  'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
                  -Tis the day's work, getting started.

                • wodeford
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
                    > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
                    woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
                    too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
                    influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
                    I'm wrong on that bit).

                    Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
                    that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
                    handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
                    wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
                    until the Edo period. Go figure.

                    Saionji no Hanae
                    West Kingdom
                  • Dawn Malmstrom
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                      No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
                      beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
                      Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
                      style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
                      vibrant.

                      Donata
                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                        > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                        > special papers?
                        >
                        > Smiles,
                        > Despina de la just curious

                        Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                        else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                        is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                        knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                        :)
                        Nawojka
                      • Kareina Talvi Tytär
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                          Nawojka wrote:

                          >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                          >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                          >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                          >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                          >:)

                          Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
                          in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
                          will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
                          easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
                          that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
                          share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
                          why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

                          --Kareina