Woodcuts

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2008
      Maybe I'm not looking properly, but I can't find any how-to sites about
      woodcutting. I guess I could sit down with some tools and a block of
      wood, but I would like a little guidance to save time and money.
      Cheers,
      Nawojka (Nah-voi-ka)
    • Amy Heilveil
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Nawojka,

        I typed "how to woodcut" into google and this is the first website that came up:
        http://ubatuberproductions.blogspot.com/2006/05/woodcut-how-to.html

        There were 359,000 hits on google, so I think that there is
        instruction on the web easily available, if that's where you want your
        instruction.

        You could also check out youtube and see if someone has put a video up there.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la lots of possibilities
      • Dawn Malmstrom
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2008
          Which style of woodcuts are you interested in? Western woodcut
          tradition is very different from Eastern (Japanese).

          Donata Bonacorsi
        • Amy Heilveil
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2008
            The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
            one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
            question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
            style woodcuts.

            Smiles,
            Despina de la didn't think of that
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2008
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
              wrote:

              > The difference between Eastern and Western woodcuts and techniques is
              > one of which I had not thought. Thank you for bringing up the
              > question, as the website to which I steered the person was for Western
              > style woodcuts.

              AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
              the SCA anyway.

              Saionji no Hanae
              West Kingdom
            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                > I typed "how to woodcut" into google there were 359,000 hits on

                Ah... I think I typed "making medieval woodcuts." It's all in the
                wording isn't it? Thanks for that.
                :)
                Nawojka
              • Amy Heilveil
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                  yuppers.... sometimes one word is definitely the difference. I hope
                  that the link and the word change have helped in your search?

                  For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                  special papers?

                  Smiles,
                  Despina de la just curious
                • Kevin Myers
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                    wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

                    >AFAIK, the heyday of Japanese woodblock printing is post-period for
                    >the SCA anyway.

                    That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if I'm wrong on that bit).

                    See:
                    http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=H0305
                    and
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_typography_in_East_Asia

                    Tiriodh!

                    -Cainnech ruad macGuairi

                    'S obair an latha, taoiseachadh.
                    -Tis the day's work, getting started.

                  • wodeford
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
                      > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
                      woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
                      too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
                      influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
                      I'm wrong on that bit).

                      Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
                      that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
                      handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
                      wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
                      until the Edo period. Go figure.

                      Saionji no Hanae
                      West Kingdom
                    • Dawn Malmstrom
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2008
                        No, if I'm remembering correctly. It's because they didn't have that
                        beautiful blue and I think a red ink that most people think of with
                        Japanese prints. They were brought in by Portugese traders. The same
                        style and skill were there much earlier, the colors were just not as
                        vibrant.

                        Donata
                      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                          > For what are you planning to make woodcuts? A book? Fabric design?
                          > special papers?
                          >
                          > Smiles,
                          > Despina de la just curious

                          Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                          else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                          is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                          knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                          :)
                          Nawojka
                        • Kareina Talvi Tytär
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2008
                            Nawojka wrote:

                            >Not sure actually! We have monthly themes for our A&S meetings. No one
                            >else follows them, but they are inspirational nonetheless :) This month
                            >is woodwork month, and there is a woodcut comp later in the year. So,
                            >knowing nothing at all about it, I thought I'd have a go
                            >:)

                            Oh, what a wonderful position to be in--by not having a specific goal
                            in mind, you are free to let your research suggest a project, which
                            will make writing up what you did for the competition ever so much
                            easier, than if you made something, and then set out to find evidence
                            that they made them like that in period. Good luck, and do please
                            share with us what you opted to do, what your inspiration was, and
                            why you choose to do it, once all that is revealed to you!

                            --Kareina