College student seeking information regarding SCA

  • Kayt Sternberg
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
      Hello, my name is Kayt, and I am a student at PCC. I am currently
      doing a research paper on the SCA, and would love to meet with long-
      time Scadians. I have attended a couple unsanctioned events, and am
      very interested in learning more about the culture, tradition,
      clothing, etc. that go into being in the SCA. If you live in the
      Portland metro area, and might be available for a cup of coffee, please
      let me know. I have this entire weekend blocked out for potential
      interviews. I look forward to hearing from you.
    • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kayt Sternberg"
        <reyna_moravia@...> wrote:

        > Hello, my name is Kayt, and I am a student at PCC. I am currently
        > doing a research paper on the SCA, and would love to meet with long-
        > time Scadians. I have attended a couple unsanctioned events, and am
        > very interested in learning more about the culture, tradition,
        > clothing, etc. that go into being in the SCA. If you live in the
        > Portland metro area, and might be available for a cup of coffee, please
        > let me know. I have this entire weekend blocked out for potential
        > interviews. I look forward to hearing from you.

        Portland where? There are two that I know of.

        Tasha
      • asackville@juno.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
          Yeah, is that Oregon or Maine? Neither of which I am remotely near, being in the Midwest. The Land Of Lincoln, to be exact.

          Something you might want to note is that while pre-17th Century society is the broad term, there are many Kingdoms that allow to stretch the envelope and, due to natural enviromental issues, the majority may choose one time period and garb over another.

          Me? Minus 30 or plus 110, I'm an Elizabethan with all the layers and stuff, sweat and all. I love Elizabethan history and I wouldn't dream of giving it up just for physical comfort's sake. That would be wimpy in my own eyes for myself. Being in the area of the Midwest that I am, summer is just "Little Miami" for me. It's a challenge. One that I have triumphed over for ten solid years in an interactive guerilla acting environment. I am stripped to the bare Elizabethan "minimum"; chemise and tights (or stockings in period terms) are the first layer, then farthingale, bum roll, underskirt and corset, then the overskirt and bodice/doublet. A caul and hat complete the basic elements to successfully pull off an Elizabethan outfit of the upper middle class or noble class. Depending on the class you wish to represent, accessories make or break it. The merchant, yeoman and Knighthood cannot have pearls or any othe precious gems on their clothing. fabric gimp and simple metallic trim are all their's. I won't go into depth for brevity's sake, so I'll end here. There are a myrad of sumtuary issues for that time period, enough so that it could cause contraversy.
          Fionnuala

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
            Please let me clarify, that was only English Elizabethan exclusively.

            Fionnuala

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
              Tasha,

              If you're the Tasha I know from the Yar times in the way-back NGTrek and bass playing, lemme know. If not, please ignore and continue along with the discussion. It's interestting/
              Fionnuala

            • Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "asackville@..."
                <asackville@...> wrote:

                > Tasha,
                >
                > If you're the Tasha I know from the Yar times in the way-back NGTrek
                and bass playing, lemme know. If not, please ignore and continue along
                with the discussion. It's interestting/
                > Fionnuala

                Newp, sorry. I'm lucky I can spell bass, never mind playing one.

                Tasha
                just an SCA name.
              • mumuk1
                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2008
                  There is a Portland in at least 12 states. Very surprising!

                  Patricia
                • Michael Hurley
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2008
                    My fiancée and I are making late 14th century
                    style houppelandes (the high-necked style as seen
                    in illustrations from the Romance of Alexander to
                    the Ellesmere Chaucer). Her's will likely be an
                    angel wing sleeve and long enough to pool on the
                    floor while mine will likely be a bag sleeve and
                    calf-length. Around what yardage of material am I
                    likely to need for these, based on modern 54"
                    wide upholstery fabrics?
                    --
                    Auf wiedersehen!
                    Michael

                    "..No."

                    -Real Genius
                  • avila629
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2008
                      snip* Hello, my name is Kayt, and I am a student at PCC.*

                      Greetings Kayt~

                      Please do a search for SCA Newcomers and you will find the Newcomers
                      group in Portland, OR, of which I am one of the moderators. In fact, my
                      son went to PCC. It's a nice campus and you'll like it.

                      Ok... you have m-a-n-y choices:
                      The Shire of Dragon's Mist (Washington County)
                      Chatelaine and Deputy Chatelaine: Alessandra and Matilda
                      Both are very sweet women and you will find them to be a fantastic help.
                      The Barony of Three Mountains (Multnomah County)
                      Chatelaine: Ezerbet
                      I know I am mis-spelling her Hungarian name and I apologize!
                      The Barony of Stromgard: Vancouver, WA
                      I do not know the name of the Chatelaine, but lady Gemma Northwode
                      abides in that Barony and is a veritble font of information and a total
                      sweetie as well.
                      There are at least 3 additional shires and baronies within a 40 minutes
                      drive, if they are not helpful (which I seriously doubt!!!)

                      The Newcomer's Yahoo Group also posts all the meetings, etc, so it's a
                      very good place to start.

                      Best wishes and happy eventing!

                      Beatriz de Chambery
                    • Jennifer Mackay
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                        Actually Stromgard's chatelaine is new, and I'm horrible with names.

                        Here's the link for the local groups:

                        http://www.stromgard.org/

                        http://www.currentmiddleages.org/3m/index.php

                        http://www.dragonsmist.org/