Anybody own "Medieval and Post-Medieval Finds from Exeter 1971-1980"

  • Bookwyrm
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2008
      If anybody has, or has access to a copy of, "Medieval and
      Post-Medieval Finds from Exeter 1971-1980", I wonder if I could impose
      for a copy of the article "Objects in Non-Ferrous Metal" by AR
      Goodall, pages 337-48?

      I'm still obsessing over dog collars, and "Medieval Finds from
      Excavations in London: Dress Accessories" mentions that the
      aforementioned article displays a mount interpreted as a swivel for a
      harness or a dog's lead. A web search for medieval swivels seems to
      give me purse hangers and pendants to the exclusion of harness or
      collar mounts.

      I've seen mentions of swivels and the materials from which they are
      made in documentary records (The Hound and the Hawk cites gifts of
      hounds with collars of white silk with buckle and swivel of silver),
      but this is the first reference I've seen to an archaeological find
      being so labeled. Looking at countless pictures, I have found no
      evidence for the use of a D-ring, as the TI article by Alianora Munro
      suggested. This makes a degree of sense; the rope applied to medieval
      collars obviously does not include a swivel; the leashes attached to
      modern D-ring collars include a swivel in the snap hook. When this is
      neglected, the leash twists in a manner that makes it harder to
      handle.

      Is this the sort of thing that, if I ever get it done, would suitable
      for in an A&S competition? I suspect I'll have to write up
      documentation for myself, anyway, so it might be worth doing?

      --
      Scholast Michel and Empath
      Ealdormere
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2008
        At 07:35 PM 4/20/2008, Scholast Michel and Empath wrote:
        >If anybody has, or has access to a copy of, "Medieval and
        >Post-Medieval Finds from Exeter 1971-1980", I wonder if I could impose
        >for a copy of the article "Objects in Non-Ferrous Metal" by AR
        >Goodall, pages 337-48?

        Allan, J. P. Medieval and Post-Medieval Finds from Exeter, 1971-1980.
        Exeter archeological reports, v. 3. Exeter: Exeter City Council and
        the University of Exeter, 1984. ISBN:0859892204 : 9780859892209 OCLC:13793051
        http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=isbn%3A0859892204&qt=advanced

        Sorry, I don't have that one. Perhaps one of the libraries (above
        link) is reasonably close to you.. or you can inter-library loan a copy.

        Beth Matney