Re: [Authentic_SCA] Who wants to talk about cooler-free camping again?

  • Mary Llewellyn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
      On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Heather Jerome wrote:

      > thjadewolf <thjadewolf@...> wrote:
      > Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-
      > free camping
      > under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
      > I humbly beg your help in varying my menu.
      >
      > If you wanna come look through my family's cook books I will
      > translate...or if you have a food that you wanna know about I can
      > explain preparation as far as references everything I have ever
      > found was Czech. Great-Grandma/ Grandma taught me all that I would
      > trust.

      I've only tried going cooler-less on a couple of occasions when my
      lord husband and I had to content ourselves with an overnight
      "pilgrimage" to the Great Western War. (I was on call for work, so
      we couldn't do the whole war.) We took dried fruit, apples, dates, a
      basket of rolls, summer sausage, Brie cheese, and a quince pie. We
      had a modern camp stove, so we also brought eggs and Irish oatmeal
      for breakfast. (We could have made frumenty -- perhaps next time.)
      Our menu was a little light on protein, but we managed. I'd love to
      know more!
      If I may ask, what's Compost/Compote in this context?

      Yours in service,
      Adelicia di Rienzi
      resident of the Barony of Lyondemere, Kingdom of Caid