Re: [Authentic_SCA] Who wants to talk about cooler-free camping again?

  • Heather Jerome
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you delete any text from the previous message that does not need to be repeated. Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      (Message order edited and reversed.)

      thjadewolf <thjadewolf@...> wrote:
      Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-free camping
      under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
      I humbly beg your help in varying my menu.

      If you wanna come look through my family's cook books I will translate...or if you have a food that you wanna know about I can explain preparation as far as references everything I have ever found was Czech. Great-Grandma/ Grandma taught me all that I would trust.
    • Mary Llewellyn
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
        On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Heather Jerome wrote:

        > thjadewolf <thjadewolf@...> wrote:
        > Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-
        > free camping
        > under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
        > I humbly beg your help in varying my menu.
        >
        > If you wanna come look through my family's cook books I will
        > translate...or if you have a food that you wanna know about I can
        > explain preparation as far as references everything I have ever
        > found was Czech. Great-Grandma/ Grandma taught me all that I would
        > trust.

        I've only tried going cooler-less on a couple of occasions when my
        lord husband and I had to content ourselves with an overnight
        "pilgrimage" to the Great Western War. (I was on call for work, so
        we couldn't do the whole war.) We took dried fruit, apples, dates, a
        basket of rolls, summer sausage, Brie cheese, and a quince pie. We
        had a modern camp stove, so we also brought eggs and Irish oatmeal
        for breakfast. (We could have made frumenty -- perhaps next time.)
        Our menu was a little light on protein, but we managed. I'd love to
        know more!
        If I may ask, what's Compost/Compote in this context?

        Yours in service,
        Adelicia di Rienzi
        resident of the Barony of Lyondemere, Kingdom of Caid