Who wants to talk about cooler-free camping again?

  • thjadewolf
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
      Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-free camping
      under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
      I humbly beg your help in varying my menu. While we strive for a
      14th century Bohemian camp, I am open to recipes that my persona
      plausibly would have known of, and occasionally I flat out cheat, as
      with the Icelandic Lord's Salt.

      My sources so far have been Rufina Cambrensis's excellent writings
      collected on the Ostgardr website (http://www.ostgardr.org/cooking/),
      the very useful Pilgrim's Provender handout from a class by Lady
      Andrea MacIntyre, and recipes I found suitable for camping from "Ein
      Buch von guter spise"
      (http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/recipes.html, or new translation
      was recently published). I have a decent repertoire of meat dishes,
      though I do get a bit tired of them, and I worry that the hot water
      pastry great pies are not as food-safe as I should be. Am I right to
      worry? And can anyone recommend recipes, ideas, or techniques for
      bringing more varied vegetables? I am sure somewhere out there are
      basic tips on taking vegetables SCA camping. We don't have a firepit,
      or else I would definitely be roasting turnips regularly. We do bring
      a modern camping stove some weekends, when I couldn't pre-make pies.

      Thank you for any assistance

      Jen, SKA Kunegunde
    • Heather Jerome
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
        MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, we ask that you not top post and that you delete any text from the previous message that does not need to be repeated. Please sign your posts. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

        (Message order edited and reversed.)

        thjadewolf <thjadewolf@...> wrote:
        Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-free camping
        under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
        I humbly beg your help in varying my menu.

        If you wanna come look through my family's cook books I will translate...or if you have a food that you wanna know about I can explain preparation as far as references everything I have ever found was Czech. Great-Grandma/ Grandma taught me all that I would trust.
      • Mary Llewellyn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
          On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Heather Jerome wrote:

          > thjadewolf <thjadewolf@...> wrote:
          > Greetings, good gentles. Having two seasons of cooler-
          > free camping
          > under my belt, I find that I never wish to eat Compost/Compote again.
          > I humbly beg your help in varying my menu.
          >
          > If you wanna come look through my family's cook books I will
          > translate...or if you have a food that you wanna know about I can
          > explain preparation as far as references everything I have ever
          > found was Czech. Great-Grandma/ Grandma taught me all that I would
          > trust.

          I've only tried going cooler-less on a couple of occasions when my
          lord husband and I had to content ourselves with an overnight
          "pilgrimage" to the Great Western War. (I was on call for work, so
          we couldn't do the whole war.) We took dried fruit, apples, dates, a
          basket of rolls, summer sausage, Brie cheese, and a quince pie. We
          had a modern camp stove, so we also brought eggs and Irish oatmeal
          for breakfast. (We could have made frumenty -- perhaps next time.)
          Our menu was a little light on protein, but we managed. I'd love to
          know more!
          If I may ask, what's Compost/Compote in this context?

          Yours in service,
          Adelicia di Rienzi
          resident of the Barony of Lyondemere, Kingdom of Caid