Re: [Authentic_SCA] Monastic rules regarding drinking

  • Jason K. Burnett
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
      > The Rule of St. Benedict is available on line; here is one link:
      > <http://www.kansasmonks.org/RuleOfStBenedict.html>
      > The vast majority of monks in the middle ages followed that Rule.

      Following the link Ann was so kind as to supply, here's the relevant
      section of the Benedictine Rule, from Chapter 40:

      "However, making allowance for the weakness of the infirm, we think
      one hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each one. But to whom God
      granteth the endurance of abstinence, let them know that they will
      have their special reward. If the circumstances of the place, or the
      work, or the summer's heat should require more, let that depend on the
      judgment of the Superior, who must above all things see to it, that
      excess or drunkenness do not creep in."

      Assuming that the "hemina" referred to here is equivalent to the
      ancient Roman hemina then, according to the conversion tool at
      http://www.archelaos.com/ref/, 1 hemina of wine = approx. 0.57 pints.=
      270 ml.

      Hope this helps.

      YIS,