Monastic rules regarding drinking

  • Joan Mielke
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2008
      Greetings unto the list!

      Does anyone know of a monastic rule that restricted or prohibited
      drinking alcoholic beverages, or perhaps, imbibing in excess? I am
      working on redefining the identity of the hospitality household to
      which I belong.

      Thanks in advance,
      Jehanne of al-Barran, Kingdom of the Outlands
    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2008
        --- Joan wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a monastic rule that restricted or prohibited
        > drinking alcoholic beverages, or perhaps, imbibing in excess? I am
        > working on redefining the identity of the hospitality household to
        > which I belong.
        >
        > Jehanne of al-Barran,

        The Rule of St. Benedict is available on line; here is one link: <http://www.kansasmonks.org/RuleOfStBenedict.html>
        The vast majority of monks in the middle ages followed that Rule.

        Ann in CT

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Jason K. Burnett
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
          > The Rule of St. Benedict is available on line; here is one link:
          > <http://www.kansasmonks.org/RuleOfStBenedict.html>
          > The vast majority of monks in the middle ages followed that Rule.

          Following the link Ann was so kind as to supply, here's the relevant
          section of the Benedictine Rule, from Chapter 40:

          "However, making allowance for the weakness of the infirm, we think
          one hemina of wine a day is sufficient for each one. But to whom God
          granteth the endurance of abstinence, let them know that they will
          have their special reward. If the circumstances of the place, or the
          work, or the summer's heat should require more, let that depend on the
          judgment of the Superior, who must above all things see to it, that
          excess or drunkenness do not creep in."

          Assuming that the "hemina" referred to here is equivalent to the
          ancient Roman hemina then, according to the conversion tool at
          http://www.archelaos.com/ref/, 1 hemina of wine = approx. 0.57 pints.=
          270 ml.

          Hope this helps.

          YIS,