Archaeological Finds--The book

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 6:36 AM
      I don't remember seeing any notice of this book, though I may be wrong.

      I just got _Archaeological Finds_ by Norena Shopland (Tempus Books)
      from the History Book Club. It's a good idea that is rather spottily
      done and incomplete. She has photos and line diagrams of a
      hodge-podge of historical objects (all English) from the Stone Age to
      at least the 18th century, along with a text that explains about the objects.

      Shopland notes: "There is a vast literature dedicated to
      archaeological artefacts. However, this information is generally
      spread throughout a myriad of papers and monographs....there is no
      unified publication that may aid them in identifying and dating
      artefacts..." This is an attempt to remedy that, working from the
      volumes of information collected. As such, it is a noble failure for
      the completist!

      It's a great way to glance at a shape of an artifact (or
      reproduction) and to estimate its date. There are also sections on
      archaeological methods and such that are of a limited interest to
      many reenactors; and it has a nice bibliography. Reviews note that it
      is not an indispensable book and will never be a standard for the
      discipline (at least in its current form), but I found it a very
      handy resource for reenactors. I'd check a library to see whether you
      or your unit might find it useful. It is also available through
      Amazon and probably elsewhere. There is a section on gunflints that I
      found fascinating.

      Shopland has a companion book--A Finds Manual--that seems infinitely
      less useful for our purposes.

      Cheers, Folo