Re: box pleating

  • alluwolf
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      Anora, when and where are you trying to document them for? Are you
      just wanting to show they were used before 1600, or are you wanting to
      document using them for something?

      Kath
    • anorathepain@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
        well I am hoping for around 1530 tudor england but I would settle for before 1600....

        Anora

        Sable, in pile a rose slipped and leaved argent and a feather Or.
        Ita erat quando hic adveni. (it was that way when I got here)
        Check out my Blogs
        Dragonsspine persona Quest http://scaquest.blogspot.com/
        My SCA Blog http://sewingnuts.blogspot.com/

      • m d b
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2008
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, anorathepain@... wrote:

          > well I am hoping for around 1530 tudor england but I would settle
          for before 1600....

          > Anora

          Sorry for the delay, Yahoo locked me in a loop of insanity when ever
          I tried logging in;)

          http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g09a.jpg
          Nice clear sketc with what we would now call box pleats but really
          didn't have much of a name in period. Even the Victorians called them
          reverse pleats.
          http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/ch00022g14a.jpg
          From the same series this also appears to have box pleats.

          There really isn't anything special about a box pleat. Once you take
          a fold of fabric you can stack them, reverse them, make them narrow
          make them wider and overlap.... And given that the Eleanora di Toledo
          gown very definitely shows pleats angled towards the back- in fact
          there is a "reverse box" pleat right in the centre back there... well
          it then only comes down to a question of fashion over possibility.
          These pleats seem more common in Italian and Swiss styles.

          I would though recommend shaping skirts as well as pleating them. All
          the skirts prior to 1600 (and most beyond) in PoF are gored, as are
          all the skirts in Alcega (except the half circle underskirts- still
          they aren't tubes).

          regards,
          Willmeyne
          Michaela